Chapter 16: Nobility

[4587 words]

**content warnings: trauma, mentions of blood and injuries and death**

~ George, current ruler of the Kingdom of Flor ~

Cricket chirps sent music through the night as Dream and I sprinted along cobblestone streets. Fallen leaves crunched beneath our feet as we crossed the Hassean marketplace. With plenty of distance between ourselves and the castle, my anxiety eased.

"We're popping off!" I panted with the effort of climbing Teja's sloping hills.

"That is the most ridiculous catchphrase I've ever heard," Dream teased from ahead.

"Well, unfortunately for you -" I huffed stubbornly. "You can't stop me from talking!"

"Prince George, you are the unfunniest man alive and nothing can convince me otherwise," Dream criticized light-heartedly. "Every time you make me laugh, I laugh at your expense."

Cold night winds buffeted my face, numbing my nose as the mansions of Tejan noblemen loomed in our sights.

"How much farther is Sapnap's home?" My booted feet ached and lungs struggled to absorb enough oxygen from the air. Stars burst in my vision. Living within castle walls for most of my life had not performed any miracles for my cardiovascular strength.

"Not far. We're almost there!" Dream breathed heavily, too, but as a former farm worker, his endurance reigned far superior to mine. He looked back over one shoulder to encourage, "Come on, Prince! Keep up."

Ragged breaths tore from my chest as I nodded breathlessly. Once the slope lessened, I drank from my water canteen and observed the surroundings. The Heir Guard and I walked along Teja's quiet streets beneath a rising moon. We passed small gardens, wooden stables, leafy trees, and resting carriages. I could barely believe that all of the kingdom's most powerful people lived within the houses we passed, unaware that their Prince wandered amongst them.

Abruptly Dream whistled for my attention, then he pointed toward a distant mansion perching upon a grassy hill. Two fully-grown willow trees swayed in the breeze; between them, oil lamps revealed the outline of the Ernling residence. Wild spruce forest cloaked the mountains behind the house.

As the Heir Guard and I approached, I observed finer details, like the shed at the hill's base - presumably servants' quarters - and a narrow brick pathway snaking from the road to the front porch.

Despite the Ernling residence's multiple floors and affluent decor, the building appeared small. Comparing the mansion to the castle would be like comparing a chicken coop to a barn. I could barely believe that a family of five nobles lived in such a small area.

"This is it?" I raised a dubious eyebrow. "It's so..."

"Huge, right?" Dream completed. "The mansion alone must be ten times the size of my home back in Orlan, and that's not even considering the amount of property they own!" Gesturing to the grassy hill with a sweeping gesture, he continued, "Look at all of this land! Twenty families could probably live on a property this massive."

"I... suppose so."

"Don't be afraid, though," Dream comforted, misinterpreting my sheepish expression. "The Ernling residence intimidated me for a long time, but like I said, Sapnap is your ally. He won't turn you away."

"Alright, then." Nodding, I stepped from the road onto the narrow brick pathway leading to the front porch. "Let's go."

Before I could move any farther, Dream grabbed my shoulder. "Wait."