4- The Human's Room

Lyn

I was only falling for half a second. Then I was on solid ground again. Not a second after I landed on the desk with a thud, reality hit me. My knees straightened, eyes widening.

I'm in a human's room.

Slowly, I stood up. The thought repeated in my head with a new emphasis. A human's room. The space around me was absolutely enormous. I was abruptly aware of how heavy the door-handle looked, how far away the floor was, how stupidly high the ceiling was. There was a cup filled with water beside me that was over double my height. Pencil sharpenings lay around my feet like curled pieces of rock. Everything, everything was huge. And I was suddenly aware of how little I was when compared to it all...
I was nothing in Lucius' world...

I clutched the strap of my bag. I could still go back to my den, the tunnel was just behind me...
Pushing those thoughts from my mind, I tried to focus on the task at hand and the excitement of doing it on my own. Come on, don't lose your nerve. I'd made it this far, hadn't I? This was... this was exciting, not scary. Just a little nerve-wracking, not dangerous. And everything was just abnormally huge, I wasn't small.

My eyes explored the giant landscape now splayed out before me. In the far corners, I could still see the beds, looking even bigger than before. They were against the furthest wall of the room, next to a single window. Its sweeping curtains that looked like waterfalls of fabric had been pulled back, letting the cold light of outside illuminate the room. Through the glass, I could see the faded greens and blue of the garden that looped around the house. It was a nice view, I thought. But to me, it was all ultimately useless. There was nothing I could see that seemed worth gathering over by the window and beds, and unless I felt like making my way down to the floor and crossing the enormous room to double-check, that was the end of it. Instead, I turned my gaze to where I was already standing; the desk.

Beside me, there was a huge, coloured stick, laying on the smooth wood. The thing was almost three times my height. I could tell despite the fact that it wasn't even upright. One end was blunt, but the other had been sharpened into a point. Somewhat in awe of how easily the solid wood seemed to have had been filed down, I tapped my toe against the fierce-looking spike. Had I not already known that this enormous thing was a colouring pencil, I might have mistaken it for a giant, green spear.

There were more of the coloured sticks splayed all over the desk, some with ends that spiked into sharp triangles, others flatter and worn. Amazing... to think that humans could pick up these huge things so easily. My bare feet padded along the flat surface, careful not to nudge any of them out of place. Though whoever they belonged to probably wouldn't notice, I wasn't taking any chances. I'd leave everything exactly as it was before I arrived. Well, apart from the things that I was going to take.

Lucius is going to be so shocked when I tell him about this, I grinned to myself. Feeling the danger less and less, I was almost skipping across the desk. Just think; Faelyn, all alone, scouting out new paths through the walls, fearlessly searching for loot in the den of a giant! It certainly sounded impressive in my head. Alright, don't get ahead of yourself. I actually had to find what I was looking for first, otherwise there would be no story to tell my friend. But at least now I was almost certain that I was on the right path. Because where there were pencils, there naturally had to be a sharpener.

Whilst I looked about for a new blade, I got the chance to ogle at the rest of the giant objects.
"Would you look at all this..." I murmured, "Isn't it amazing?" No answer obviously. But it was nice to talk to the air. I could imagine that there was somebody behind me, someone my size. It made me feel a little less alone.