Chapter 2: The Gang's Kind Of Guy

"Hey, who's this?" Steve asked, startled to see Darry talking to a blonde haired guy almost as big as the Superman himself. The blonde guy in question was perched on the tailgate of Darry's truck with a line of fresh stitches near his temple.

"This is Brooklyn." Steve extended his hand.

"Hey Brooklyn. Big city name for a small town dweller." Steve knew to be chivalrous to anyone almost as big as Darry. "I'm Steve."

"You work here Steve?" Brooklyn asked. He had a smile that would make a crowd of women swoon.

"Yup. Me and my bud Sodapop." Brooklyn glanced to Darry.

"There aren't two guys in the world named Sodapop, much less in Tulsa. Your brother works here?"

"Yeah." Darry said, smirking.

"I'm gonna fill her up." Brooklyn said, sliding off Darry's truck.

"That's a tuff car. What is it, a Buick?" Brooklyn nodded and walked to the other pump. Darry chuckled at Brooklyn's limited tolerance for guys like Steve that placed value in type of car and ability to bust his skull in.

"It's a Buick Limited, 1942." Darry said, knowing Brooklyn probably wouldn't say anything else on the subject.

"No way. They didn't even make those the entire year. That has to be one in a million." Steve said, shaking his head. "And he could've been the original owner either, he's too young. Damn."

"It was his dad's." Darry said, blinking. "You seen Pony yet? He wanted a ride home from here."

"Naw but Soda ain't even off for another half an hour. Is he coming home too? Maybe I can get a ride in that bad boy." Steve looked closer at it, still maintaining a respectable distance and started. "New York plates? He's from New York? Damn. You know how to pick um. Can he fight?" Darry heard Brooklyn scoff as he pumped gas and chuckled.

"I invited him on over because we've gotta go over some work stuff but I'm sure he's plenty sociable." Darry said, sighing.

Darry rolled his eyes. The gang would be shocked that he introduced a new hood into their circle. The unsociable Darry made a friend. They'd razz him for Brooklyn being a work associate sure but Brooklyn was more than Darry's newest worker. He was the closest Darry had to a true friend for a long time. And he could knock them back right along side Darry. He would be good for them all.

There was no question that the gang would like Brooklyn. He was rougher than any of the traditional Tulsa hoods but he chose to ease off when in pleasant company. He grew up in New York, not far from his namesake. Darry didn't know much more than that but got the feeling that Brooklyn wanted it that way. He was a lot like Dally. That guaranteed his partial acceptance at any rate since it would sooth some old wounds to have a tuff character back in the gang. Besides, he could throw a punch and it seemed like they would need that kind of talent.

Brooklyn stretched as he finished pumping the gas. His car had made the trip from New York without much trouble. It went through four quarts of oil and transmission fluid before he realized there was a leak somewhere. It was still a little leaky but he'd fix it his next day off. He wandered into the convenience store and smiled at the attendant. Darry's brother was indeed a lady-killer.

"Hey there. Can I help you with something?" Sodapop looked up and smiled. "Hey, you're Darry's buddy right? Hey, put her there. I'm Sodapop." He held out his hand and Brooklyn shook it.

"I'm Brooklyn."

"Well Brooklyn, you've got a killer grip." Brooklyn smiled and leaned down to the cooler, pulling out a six-pack of Coke.