Chapter 9

Sky's POV

Samantha was going upstairs when she noticed I wasn't following her - "Babe, are you ok?"

I gulped not looking at her and luckily Diane stepped up - "She's fine. Your father and I just want to talk to her for a few minutes, she'll be right up."

Samantha went back upstairs, still suspicious. 

Diane sat me down between her and Donny -"This is about proposing to Samantha, isn't it?" 

I nodded, taking the ring box out and opening it, admiring the ring - "I know she will say yes but what if I clam up and turn into a stuttering mess?"

"Trust me, any girl would take that as a compliment. It means that she makes you so flustered that you can barely form the words. I know it sounds weird but I was so nervous when I proposed to Diane, I could barely get a word out my brain was so disorganized."

Diane chuckled - "Yup. It was so bad that you gave up on your speech and ended up opening the ring box and let me connect the dots without you explicitly asking. It took a few moments for me to realize you were proposing but I said yes and brought you up to kiss me. We've been happily married for 24 years now.

"Samantha was a happy accident on our 6th anniversary but we're glad we decided to keep her. She doesn't know yet so this stays between the three of us."

I mimicked zipping my lips, putting a key in a lock, and throwing the key away.

"Anyway no matter what happens, you can't go wrong when you speak from the heart. You don't need some elaborate speech. Speak of how you want to spend the rest of your life with her and-"

I saw her look up and all color drained from her face, her eyes widening. Either a murderer just walked into the room or Samantha has been right behind me for who knows how long.

I hid the ring, hoping she didn't see it.

I turned around - "How long have you been standing there?"

She was crying - "I just got here. What the hell have you three been talking about?!"

I took the ring out of the box, palmed it in my right hand, and came over to her - "Sammy, I promise it's not what you think."

"I think you're planning to propose to someone! You better be talking about me or I swear to god, Sky."

I smirked, cupped her face with my left hand - "You have nothing to worry about, my dear."

I took a deep breath, wiped her tears with my thumb, and started, making it up as I went, "When you stood up for me the day you met me, I thought there would be no way I could pay you back. When you became my girlfriend it made my heart feel more full than it's ever felt and it feels more full by the day. When I'm near you I know no one can hurt me because no one would dare touch me when I have my scary dog next to me."

She smiled - "Hey!"

"Come on, I've heard you growl at someone because they were looking at my ass when I was next to you."

She blushed - "Is there a point to this trip down memory lane?"

I looked into her eyes and got down on one knee - "The point is, we've been together for 5 years now and I'm sorry I've waited this long to ask you."

I was starting to cry. Behind my back, I moved the ring so I was holding it between my index finger and thumb, diamond up. I revealed it - "Samantha Delaney, will you marry me?"

She put her hands to her mouth and as she recognized the ring - "Is that what mom whisked you to her room for?"

I nodded -"Is that a yes?"