Part 10

Sidharth was sailing in the ocean of emotions. He was cursing his luck for getting heartbroken everytime.

Why and how the hell did I fall for a married lady who also happens to be my student?  That too in just two days.

But she said she stays with her sister and brother-in-law. Why would she stay with her relatives, if she is already married? Is she lying to me?

Sidharth: You said you are staying with your sister. What about your husband? Does he also stay with you in their house?

Shehnaaz: My husband has left me long back. He is very soon marrying someone else.

Sidharth: What? (Shocked)

There was a thunder and Shehnaaz flinched with fear saying "Ammaaa" and hugged him. Sidharth froze at her touch. He was still unable to get out of the shock from her answer and her sudden embrace felt like an electric jolt. He couldn't think of anything.

As soon as his one hand hugged by her waist, she left him and distanced herself from him.

Shehnaaz: I am sorry, I got scared at the sudden thunder.

Sidharth: I.. (gulped) I understand. Please don't be sor... (He found her looking around to check if somebody saw them.)

Shehnaaz: Sir, I had told you not to accompany me. I don't have anything else than a good name. You are a man, people won't shame you but I will be judged, cursed and character shamed. It's easier for a man to move on but society doesn't allow a woman to move on in her life. It's better if you stop here itself.

Tears roll out of her eyes as she spoke and she runs away leaving him. She was fully drenched in rain. Her umbrella protected him from getting drenched.

He stood there for sometime like a rock until there was a thunder sound again which brought him back to his consciousness. She had disappeared in a thin air. He walked back home. His mind was occupied with her thoughts and words.

Did she say she is married and her husband left her? How can someone leave such a beautiful soul? How can he be so cruel?

Why Sidharth? Don't you remember that you did the same with Sana? She was innocent as well. How do you see Shehnaaz's pain but not Sana's pain who is your wife?

But she might have moved on. 5 years have passed for that incident.

That's your assumption! What if the society haven't allowed her to move on, like Shehnaaz said? You haven't even set her free fully. But look at you. You decided to marry any random girl that Maa picks first and then you wanted to marry Shehnaaz.

Arghhhh.. Why is my life so complicated?

Who made it complicated Sidharth? You! You went to marry someone and when you found a lock on the door. You were ready to marry any random girl. You hadn't even seen Sunaina and agreed to marry her. You spent some cozy moments with Sana unknowingly and when you realized she wasn't Sunaina, you left her! If you were in for any random girl for marriage what difference did Sunaina or Sana make? You got so attached to the name that you rejected a relationship after spending a romantic moment with a girl. If you had to accept her with her identity, your life would have been simpler.

The thought and the guilt didn't allow him to sleep. He dragged the sleepless night surrounded with those thoughts.

The next day he got ready to leave to college. When he reached the door to put on his shoes, he saw Shehnaaz's umbrella. He thought that he has a reason to talk to her again. He took the umbrella and went to the college.