Chapter Nine

I ran toward Eyden's hut. I really didn't care if anyone else was inside or not. I just needed to speak to him, or else I would die with waiting.

I barged in, not minding about what kind of impression such an act reflected on my personality, but I cared less for impressions then.

I found Eyden sitting in his hut comfortably, talking to Captain Oliver Diaz.

'Aren't princesses supposed to have good manners and knock?' he began.

'I need to talk to him,' I started, 'He's my only chance of finding Seleng.'

True.

The stranger named Kolen Issihak was the one and only key to saving Seleng's life and that of my father. Eyden couldn't possibly be so mean and deny me that.

He looked long and hard at me, and I actually thought that he was considering helping me.

'I understand that your brother is important to you Princess,' he began and I nodded my head hopefully, 'but I cannot risk your safety and that of my men because you want to speak with him.'

My spirits fell greatly.

'He's not going to hurt me!' I took a large step towards him, 'He said it himself. He just wants to talk to me.'

Eyden sighed, adamant to my plea, 'I'm afraid I can't do that.'

I looked at his eyes. Beautiful as usual, but they were cold and hard and at that moment I knew that noo amount of words could persuade him into letting me speak to Kolen.

Somehow I wanted to blame him, but I understood where he was coming from. Strangers in Lango were always put under strict surveillance by the tribe. We didn't like strangers.

And Kolen was a particularly strange stranger. He didn't seem afraid of Eyden or his men. He walked as casually as a gazelle would in the absence of any lions.

He talked like he could harm anyone or anything around him. And to be honest, I kind of liked it. Eyden needed someone to challenge him a bit.

'You shouldn't bother yourself with these matters,' Eyden breathed and stood up and I marveled at his height once again, 'Go and rest.'

There was a possessive edge in his voice, and I actually felt for a second that he was doing all this because he actually liked me and didn't want any harm to come to me.

I narrowed my eyes at him in anger, and stormed out.

******************************************

'I do not like this Mora.' Anora said as she peeked at her back to see if any one was following us.

'Neither do I Anora,' I said trying to tip toe around the hut just next to Kolen's prison hut, 'but when I said I'd do anything to find Seleng, I meant anything. Even if it means going against Eyden's wishes and sneaking around like a thief.

'Then get moving!' she whispered back, 'I can't stand here all night.'

'If anyone comes, warn me,' I instructed Anora as I began to make my way towards two sleeping guards.

She nodded.

I slipped past them successfully and got to the door. I tried it once and to my utter happiness, it was open.

Idiots!

I opened it even quieter than I'd sneaked in, praying to the gods that it did not squeak.

It didn't. Good so far.

Inside, I found Kolen sitted upright and looking straight at the door like he'd been expecting me. When I walked in, he smiled.

'I knew you would come.' He said with a smile.