CHAPTER SEVEN

Eyden woke up very early for his usual morning jog. This time, he took the longer route around camp realizing he needed more time alone and this jog was just the best remedy for the turmoil that was raging his insides. Mora Etieng That name!!

It was all his brain could comprehend and that was bothering him a great deal. Did the woman have to be so unbearable to look at? Or was it just him being stupid? But no, she was not doing anything. He was the one letting himself think that she would actually be feeling the same strong attraction, the kind that was pushing him to early morning jogs at such hours. He could bet his life she was sleeping like a baby.

  *********

  I woke up the next morning in a rush of new spirits. No thoughts of Eyden, no looking in his direction through the corner of my eye or wondering where he was. Today, and henceforth, I was not going to care. He did not deserve it.

  Anora suggested that we go very early to the stream for our usual morning bath before the men got there... the few who bothered to bathe. So we set off. The air was a biting cold that had my teeth chattering when we were just a few meters from the hut. But I could not miss a bath, it was uncharacteristic of me, besides, I was a princess, prisoner or otherwise.

 ********* 

Anora, Ngele and I sat lousily in the compound of Abbar's hut. Everyone, but us seemed to have something important to do. So we were just left to amuse ourselves eating groundnuts and stoning mangoes. And we had done that the entire morning.We needed to find something to do and fast; otherwise we would die of boredom faster than the sleeping sickness of the Southern lake regions.

  All the men were either shooting arrows, waving their spears and axes around or merely wrestling around for their own amusement. I let out a loud princess-like yawn but stopped short when I noticed the approaching form of the Witong of Lango.

Even if I had promised myself not bear him any compliments, even in the privacy of my thoughts, I could not control the upsurge of emotions that overwhelmed me at the sight of him. He had a slight scowl on is face mirroring obvious stress. But over what? I thought to myself. There was barely anything for a Witong to be worried about. No wars or battles too engineer just a legion of men to train. When he stood in front of us, I bit my lip uncontrollably and noticed the slight flush in his eyes when I did that. 

'I have some work for you, princess.' Oh! I had forgotten I was a slave now. I got to my feet with little protest. I was not letting myself fight him and lose.  'What is it? I snapped, folding my arms over my chest, and looking directly into his eyes. This time I managed a deep hateful look. I was angry and I wanted him to know it.  However, Eyden did not seem surprised at my reaction. I guessed he was used to people snapping at him.  'Follow me,' he said simply and turned in the direction of his hut.

  I threw my head back in frustration. Why was he treating me like this? I hadn't done anything to him.....okay, other than try to escape. Still, that was just a security check. And he'd passed.  I followed him at a pregnant distance. For all I knew, I did not want to be close to him. H e opened the door and got in, and I had no choice but to enter in after him.

The hut was large as I remembered and cool, despite the intense heat outside. I breathed in relief. It was comfortable being there. I could almost see myself sleeping soundly on the floor....  'I am going for archery practice,' I heard Eyden's voice and was forced to exit the brief escapade I had made into my thoughts, 'and I need you to carry my sword for me....

  'Need me?' I didn't even realize what I was saying before the words were out.  Eyden turned to face me with a rather perplexed expression over his face. He walked to me slowly keeping my eyes locked to his. I stood my ground, but I couldn't help my racing heart, that was nearly leaping out my mouth. When he was so close I could see to maximum extent the full extent of his jaws, and the bright sparkle in his white gorgeous eyes.  'No,' his voice lowered to a deep drawl, that was hammering my senses, 'I want you.....,' and he paused again, but not long enough for me to lose it and bolt away screaming, 'I want you to carry my sword.' And he picked a bunch of arrows from the small table behind me, and turned away from me.