CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I was  more than upset. The way  Eyden talked to me.

Like I  was a  child. The way he dared  to look at me after what  he’d done. I, Mora  Etieng of the  Etieng clan would not allow myself to be treated that way.

I  couldn’t help the jeer that escaped my lips  after Eyden left, and I was even madder at  myself for not having the courage to  jeer in his face.

‘Seems like the Witong is in a bad mood,’ Anora said as we watched him walked away.

My  eyes bored into his glorious back as though daring him to  look back.  Pleading for him to look back.
He  didn’t.

I  can’t believe  him.

‘What?’ Anora asked and I  realised I had said that out  loud.

I rubbed my palms nervously, ‘I can’t believe he wants us to go to the Rwot’s palace!’ I  quickly came up with a lie, ‘When he knows very well about the nature of the celebrations.’

Anora nodded in agreement but in my heart I was somewhat excited.

The thrill of  watching men fight for  the maidens they wanted.

Lusted after.

Would Eyden fight for me if  he had  the chance? Would he really think I was  worth going against six other men for?  The thought thrilled me.

Maybe I  needed to know how far he  would go for me. And knowing the Witong, I doubted he would fail.

And what if he fought for me and  won? Would he claim his prize? Would he make me  spend the night with him?

Make  me?

No he did not have to. I  had  already come to  terms with the fact  that  I  was too  far  gone where the tall dark  man was involved. It was a battle I was  helpless to win.
Would he demand it or would he ask  nicely?

I almost giggled.

The Witong did not ask. He took. He claimed. He possessed. The man strode around the camp  like he walked on water. Like he descended from god. 

Maybe he  would be gentle. I was a virgin after all. My  ears suddenly felt hot and I  paced around  looking at the ground trying to dull the tingling between my legs and the way my heart began to leap. Why was I  thinking of making love to the man who had broken my heart? The  man I had nearly given everything and had thrown it on the ground stepping on it like it meant nothing.

My face hardened at the memory of the woman taking him in her mouth, his eyes dilated as he sat on his throne like the master that he was.

‘Maybe the invitation isn’t all  bad,’ my friend rudely interrupted my thoughts, ‘We have an audience with the Rwot. We finally have a good chance of  rescuing Seleng.’

I sighed.

Seleng.

He had almost slipped my mind. My brother who I  loved dearly. But not nearly enough apparently, as I had almost forgotten our reason for  being here.

I was too  busy getting distracted by Eyden and his large arms and athletic build and unmistakable talent…

Focus Mora.

I  shook my head as if trying to  shake the feeling of wanting Eyden off me. It was useless. 

The man had captured me caged me and I was helpless to escape.

‘Yes Anora you’re right. We need to go to those celebrations and talk to Rwot Alwogi,’ I was silently apologizing to my brother for nearly letting him down.