Chapter Ten

'He can't be gone!!' Eyden cursed looking at General Bambo then at the guards.

'How did he escape?' Eyden was struggling hard to keep a straight face, but everyone could see that he was angry as hell.

'Definitely through the door,' Bambo chipped in annoyingly, 'there are no weaknesses in the walls, no tunnels dug, nothing.' He raised his arms, 'The man obviously walked out the door of the hut.'

Eyden looked demeaning at the two guards who were supposed to be on the alert.

They looked at the mud floor in shame.

'My Lord...' one of them began.

'Do not My Lord me,' he roared. I could almost feel that he was bitter and not angry, 'You were supposed to be standing guard!!!'

He paced the tiny damp hut, hands on his chin as he thought frantically, 'Instead you were asleep like two little girls.'

'Witong,' Bambo laid a hand to his shoulder, 'shouting at them will not get the prisoner back. We need to act fast. He couldn't have gone very far.'

Eyden nodded, 'You're right,' he sighed and looked disgustedly at the two guards. I would never want to be at the receiving end of Eyden's harsh angry gaze.

'I will go after him myself.' He said and got out of the hut.

'Witong!' Bambo called after him, 'you cannot go alone.'

The Witong turned to his General while I stared on at how their conversation would unfold.

'I must,' he said, 'I must go alone.'

'But the danger,' Bambo pressed, 'The wild animals. There are lions in these parts...'

'I am the head of the spear, am I not?' Eyden assured his general and friend.

The general nodded.

'Then you need not worry.'

That was all Bambo could say. The Witong had made up his mind, and he walked away, leaving General Bambo very distraught.

'You are serious about doing this?' I ambushed Eyden just outside camp as he made his way to the last patrol line.

'Do I look like I'm joking?' he tightened the sling over his shoulder, and managed to look undisturbed with the fact that I was following him.

I struggled to keep up with him, 'Going out alone into the wilderness is a death wish...'

'Don't you have something important to do?' he stopped suddenly and turned to me.

I was flustered with his sudden movement, and it was then that I realised how close he was, and how beautiful his eyes were, even if they were filled with anxiety.

'Uh,' I stuttered.

'Go fetch water, collect firewood,' he paused, 'bathe...or whatever you women enjoy doing.

His eyes washed over me like they had done earlier that day, and I could sense some strong wicked lust within him.

I gasped backing away, 'So you have seen me naked!'

Eyden closed his eyes and sighed, then turned away and continued walking, 'I don't know what you are speaking about.'

'Yesterday by the stream...It was you, wasn't it?'

He did not answer me.

'Wasn't it?' I pestered him.

'Fine,' he sighed and slowed his pace, 'It was me.'