ⅳ ‐ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴜᴇʟ

*

*

FIVE MINUTES. THAT'S ALL IT took for Tommy to blow up at Dream. Five minutes of peaceful negotiation before it became a screaming match - and Wilbur was helpless to stop it.

They'd seen it coming. Dream had spent the majority of those calm five minutes insulting L'Manberg's futile efforts and spiting what they had lost. Mila was glad she wasn't down there, because she surely would have done the same as Tommy.

"How about a duel?" Tommy had spat. "You against me. Whoever wins, wins what they wanted. L'Manberg's Independence, or you get The Discs."

And Dream had agreed. Of course he had. He wanted nothing more than to watch them fail.

Tubbo had sprang from their secluded spot within the cliff where he, Mila and Fundy had been eavesdropping, engulfing Tommy in a hug and begging him not to go through with it.

Wilbur was distraught.

"What was the one thing I asked of you?" He had his hands on Tommy's shoulders, and Tommy, for a brief moment, seemed regretful. "I asked one thing of you, and you couldn't even do that."

"I have to do this, Will!" Tommy protested, wriggling from Wilbur's careful hold. "If there's a chance, any chance, that I can fix this for us, let me."

"That's not your responsibility!" Wilbur roared back. Behind his rage there was fear. Not for him, but for his younger brother, who he was scared would perish here.

"Well it is now!" Tommy hissed. "I knew what I signed up for, the moment this Revolution began! I knew that this would one day happen, and I wanted it anyway! Don't you see that?"

Mila wanted to step in, to tell them that Dream was watching this, beady-eyed and greedy, but it wasn't her place.

Wilbur was silent for a second, and when he spoke his tone was low. "Would you let Tubbo do this?"

"I.. why would.. that's-" Tommy spluttered, "that's entirely different!"

"No, it's not!"

"I'm doing this, and you can't stop me, Will!" Tommy and Will were nose-to-nose, eyes blazing. It looked like they were either about to fight or cry.

Wilbur cracked, and backed down. "What are the conditions of The Duel?"

Mila couldn't believe they'd let it get to this.

*

It was decided that The Duel would take place on the bridge. Metres of violent, rocky waves crashed against jagged rocks below them, reaching out for the soon-to-be victim.

The sun was slowly melting into oranges and purples as the sun rose. It would be a beautiful morning, if not for the impending death.

The audience would stand upon the intercepted cliffs, staring down from above, able to see the end of this quite clearly. This would be brutal.