ⅸ - ɴᴏᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ɢᴇᴛꜱ ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ

*

*

IT CAME AS AN INSTANT relief to Mila that nobody immediately realised she was there. She managed to slip through the crowd unnoticed until she got past the stairs in the podium, bursting into the room where Wilbur was already sat.

"Mila?" He whispered, standing up and dragging her into a fracturing hug. "You.. you shouldn't be here. Not after the other night." Mila saw his eyes drift to her bandaged hand and she forced on her most reassuring smile.

"Nonsense." She stood up taller and hid her trembling hands. "I said I'd be here to support you, and Tommy, and I'll keep that promise."

Wilbur shook his head. "No, no, not if that means putting yourself in danger." He looked around to make sure nobody was there. "Look, I don't know what happened that night when Schlatt appeared, but it was obviously something big. If you don't feel safe around this then I trust your instinct."

If only you knew the half of this, Mila thought sadly. She had no intention of telling Wilbur anything, not after the threats Schlatt just made. It had been different with Dream, but this time she wouldn't be able to stop Wilbur from putting himself in danger.

"I need to be here." Mila said quietly, looking into Wilbur's chestnut eyes. "I need to watch this play out, this could be the end, Wilbur."

"I see Eret filled you in," Wilbur muttered.

Mila shifted awkwardly. "Yeah.. he.. it's-"

"I know you've been meeting with him," Wilbur interrupted, and Mila froze, but he continued, "I'm not mad, I'd never be. He meant so much to all of us, I get why you would trust him. I also know it's hard for you to let go, and that isn't your fault."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell any of you," Mila sighed, "it's just.. I wasn't sure how any of you would react. Tubbo still struggles, and I worried you'd all hate me."

"I hate Eret, that's for sure." Wilbur sniffed in disgust. "I'll never forgive him, he's a traitor, and in my eyes, that's worse than being dead." His tone softened. "But in your eyes that might be different, and I hold nothing against you for it."

Mila became choked up, and this time, she was the one who wrapped Wilbur in a hug to hide her watering eyes. This whole time she'd been so stupid. Again, she'd forgotten who these people were, that she could trust them.

"And, look," Wilbur continued, his voice muffled, "whenever something happens, let us know. You're never alone, even if you think we won't understand. It hurt us so much when we found out you'd been in the caravan for two days, alone, terrified out of your mind to the point you didn't know what was real. We're real, Mila, and you are too."

Those words meant more than Wilbur could imagine, and Mila felt the last few wisps of static melt away, the world becoming sharper and more tangible. The fog behind her eyes had began to lift and she began feeling everything in full force instead of behind a screen.