ⅶ - ᴏɴʟʏ ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴅᴀʀᴇ, ꜱᴜᴄᴄᴇᴇᴅ

*

*

"NIKI AND FUNDY ARE RUNNING in the election!" Tubbo announced the next morning, skipping down the stairs. His eyes flashed with worry as he saw Mila sat in the same place she was when he went to bed, still awake and deep in thought. Her wings were cocooned around her body, cradling herself.

Wilbur and Tommy were asleep on the opposite sofa, Tommy leaning against Wilbur's shoulder with a frown on his face, even in his dreams.

"What?" Mila whispered, beckoning Tubbo over so he didn't wake them. "Why would they do that? Are they trying to get Wilbur out of power?"

"I don't know," Tubbo seemed worried now, lowering his voice, "they were talking about it while they thought I was asleep. I think it started as a joke but they're really taking it seriously now."

Mila put her head in her hands, a headache forming in her skull. "They realise what this could do, right? If Wilbur loses this Election.." she didn't want to finish that, but Tubbo seemed to get the gist.

"..then all we've worked for will be gone."

*

The rest of the day went by in exhausting tension. Wilbur and Tommy didn't know that Niki and Fundy were running in the Election, but it was clear they were hiding something. Mila's head felt like it was going to explode.

At some point around noon, Mila gave up and went out, grabbing her sword and trident before she did so that she could train for a bit.

The walk to the empty field was swift, and she settled under a sprawling tree for a few moments. She soon grew tired of this, because every spare moment she had was spent worrying about things, such as the Election, or Eret.

She decided she'd go to the clearing where they usually met once the sun went down. Mila could only hope he was there for her to apologise. She realised now that she was extremely in the wrong, and she lashed out because she was scared. That wasn't an excuse, and she was going to fix it.

Pushing those thoughts from her head, she sprang up, sword in hand. There were a few practice dummies littered around this field, so she grabbed one and propped it upright.

She allowed herself to become calm as she swung at the dummy, feeling the energy spread back through her body. Despite the heaviness of not sleeping in two days still weighing on her, her moves were nimble and precise, and it made her puff up with pride.

Someone ran into the field behind her, and from the footsteps Mila could tell it was Wilbur. She sent one last swing at the dummy and it's head was knocked clean off, neatly rolling to a stop at her feet.

With a giddy smile, she turned to Wilbur, giving him a brief wave. He looked rather cheery, considering last night he was miserable.

"We're hosting a rally before the Election tomorrow," he said with a smile, "we've built a podium for it, just now. I really think we can do this."