23

Nene pulled his door open and entered his room. "Pico, I have to lay down some ground rules."

"Alright, sure." He was trying to keep his mind off of certain things, so a conversation would help. "Hit me. With the knowledge."

"First off, your room is off limits during the day, unless specifically told otherwise."

Pico groaned.

"That's starting now, so shoo."

"Oh no, I'm stuck to the bed." Pico fell backwards dramatically.

Nene tugged his arm. "Begone, you long lost Weasley brother."

"Fine." He stood up. She was a couple inches taller than him, so he had to look up to her. Ironically, she was one of the worst influences he'd ever met.

"Second off, no sharp objects. You're not allowed to use knives when cooking."

"I don't even know how to cook, all I eat is fruit snacks."

"That's changing too. Third, you need to eat actual food. You'll turn into a stick."

"You sound like a mom with all these rules."

"Maybe I am."

"I never had a mom." Pico snorted.

"That's not really something you should joke about, Pico."

"My childhood trauma, my coping mechanism."

Nene gave him a strange look. "Whatever works for you, I guess. Four. Uh, any ideas for rules?"

"Hmm, how should I limit myself? What shouldn't I be allowed to do?"

"Jeez you're so sar-cat-stick today."

"Sarcastic."

"Eigo wa tokidoki muzukashīdesu. Watashi no gengo o hanasu tomodachi ga itara ī nodesuga, anata wa kakkoīdesu."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Its fancy for 'you're a dumbass'."

"You took a whole twenty seconds to call me a dumbass?"

"Possibly."

"Dedication, man. Dedication."

"It's not dedication, it's just my first language."

"But you still took the time to learn another language. I only know a little bit of spanish, just enough to tell people I don't speak spanish. And ticket is boleto. That's it."

"I guess." Nene started walking downstairs. Pico followed her, having nothing else to do.

He looked out the window, across the street. Most houses already had some sort of Halloween decorations out. "Is it really that close to Halloween?"

"Is it?" She pushed him slightly, looking out the window. "Oh, I need to decorate."

"I could help, I have nothing else to do."

"That'd be nice. Maybe Keith'll help."

"I don't know, I don't really want to talk to him."

"If this is about yesterday,"

"It's not my fault he's a slut."

"You really don't need to call him that."

"I only tell the truth."

"Yet you lied about your emotions in order to get people off your back."

"That's completly different." He didn't want to think about that, it just held him back.

"Why can't you just go back to being friends?"

"If you care so much, why don't you ask him?"

"Because it's your problem. I want to know what's going on with you."

"Whatever, ask him to help decorate. I don't give a flying fuck about anything right now. I just don't like my head right now."
He made his way back upstairs. He couldn't go in his room though. As much as he was mad at her, he was going to follow Nene's rules.

He closed himself in the bathroom, and layed down on the mat by the shower. Good enough.

His breath got shaky, and before he knew it, he was crying. Again. Like a baby.

He bit down on his arm. Numb. Why did he have to feel like this? Not even horrible people deserved this.

Not people who killed.
Not people who hurt people they loved.
Not people who failed.
Not people who ran away from their problems.
Not him.

He pulled himself together and leaned on the counter.

He stared at the man in the mirror. His hair was a mess, pale and salty face, an ugly gap between his two front teeth, freckles spotted his face like water droplets.

There had to be a way out of this.

He opened the medicine cabinet. Maybe Nene had medicine for emotions.

There wasn't really much in there though. A bottle of benadryl, an empty box of sutaphed, a bottle labeled 'e', and some feminine hygiene products.

He grabbed the bottle of benadryl and shut the cupboard.

It was half full of little pink pills.

He turned it in his hand to read the back.

He could just down the bottle and he wouldn't have to deal with anything.

He opened the bottle and poured some into his hand.

"Pico, you alright in there?" Nene's voice interrupted him, causing him to spill pills all over the floor. "What was that?"

"I spilled."

Nene opened the door, covering her eyes. "You decent?"

"Yes." He said it like he wasn't about to chug pills.

She uncovered her face, glancing around.

"Pico, you weren't trying anything were you?" She said softly.

"No, I was just getting a benadryl. You scared me so I spilled."

"You're going to need to clean up that mess though."

"Yeah, whatever."

Nene left and Pico started cleaning up the spillage.

That was a bad idea in the first place anyways. What was he thinking?

He finished and put the bottle back in the cupboard.

Thing's would get better anyways. They had to. They really couldn't get any worse anyways.