Chapter 79 Back to work.

I cleaned my desk of the remains of lunch. When I had stacked everything on one side, I called Cassandra. She answered on the third ring.

'Yes, Captain. What can I do for you today?' 

'Doctor, I was wondering, since my brain is working on overdrive, would it be advisable that I get some extra rest to give my brain more time to recuperate?'

'What are you thinking about, using a custom Delta wave program?' 

'Yes, I was Doctor.'

'Are you feeling fatigued, unable to focus, or have any headaches, nausea or dizziness?'

'No, Doctor, I don't have any of those symptoms.'

'From a Doctor's perspective, I don't think you should use Delta waving unless you have to, and you aren't showing any signs of fatigue, so I would suggest that you don't. However, we'll have your comms keep track of your sleep patterns, and I would recommend that we insert a central nervous system implant to track waste metabolites over the next few days. If we see a waste build up in your cerebrospinal fluid, then we'll arrange a sleeping program for you.'

'If you consider that the best choice, doctor, then we will insert the implant.' 

Perfect, another trip back to medical, everybody is going to think I'm a hypochondriac.

'When can we have this done, doctor?'

'There is no time like the present.' 

'I just ate, doctor; do I need to wait before I come in?'

'Seeing that you just ate, it's advisable we insert the implant in four hours.' I could swear there was an abundant innuendo in her voice and her smile. I refuse to believe that you don't know what you are doing? Or I perceive the innuendo because I haven't scored in years.

'Okay, doctor, see you in four hours' time.' I ended my conversation with Cassandra, and I called up Major Huruuse.

 'Hello Captain, what can I do for you?'

'Major, when do the new carbines go into mass production?' 

'I was just going to call you concerning that, Captain. The design team has made significant modifications that improved the rate of reloading and handling of the weapon. I will send you the new design specifications and the weapon test videos now.'

'Okay Major, I'd love to see what they've changed.' The folder he sent appeared in my in-box. 'I've got the folder, Major.' 

'Good. When can you head across to inspect the changed kit?' 

I wanted to study the design changes and give myself some time to digest my meal. 'I can return to the range in an hour and thirty minutes.' 

'Major, can you set up a training exercise as well, I'd like to run the new kit through its paces'

He raised an eyebrow. 'What type of simulation do you suggest we perform a shoot and scoot, or a search and destroy?' Shoot and scoot or SaS training is to teach organized retreat procedures and is what the general crew needs to learn since they are not combat professionals. Search and destroy, well that's what spec marines do best.

'Shoot and scoot, search and destroy, is the purview of experts like yourself.' 

He chuckled at my comment.

'Understood, Captain, I will see to the arrangements.'

'Great. See you in ninety minutes. Out.' I said and ended the call.

I opened the folder and looked at the new weapon design. The marine weapon smiths removed the controlled burst mechanism, which simplified the fire control system. This reduction in parts made the weapon easier to manufacture and maintain. It also shaved a hundred grams off its final weight. This made sense as the multi projectile ammo dispensed three projectiles with every pull of the trigger. Marine smithies were a pragmatic bunch. It comes from being the bastard child of the services. They deserved better, though. 

They also changed the fore grip of the gun to a triangular profile. It still carried the three magazines in the fore grip, but it rotated and indexed them, which allowed quick reloads of the weapon. It was a simple change, but it improved weapon reloads and ergonomics. I was salivating at the chance to use the thing.   

I was halfway through the folder when my body suggested I empty my bowels. If you eat more, you are going to crap more. That's just how life is. Nothing said you could not do both, so I did. With my head trip complete, I felt lighter, and had completed the reading of most of the folder. Relieved and ready to go, I retrieved a protein bar and some water and headed to the range.