Chapter 11

THE GARDEN WAS MORE BREATHTAKING than the decorations inside the gigantic house. Mal thought that the Melrose's did a great job with the gathering, but not as good as the garden. There was a big wooden gazebo that had an elegant, black bench in the middle, with trees and small plants surrounding it. There were all kind of flowers around the gazebo, and a small, round space for family photographs, that had a few, stoned steps to brighten the view.

Bryce led Mal to the bench, then sat down. The pair then began to lead a small conversation, trying to defeat the awkward silence.

"-yeah and then I was like, how dare he!"

"That must've been terrible!"

"I know, it really was!"

Then the awkward silence began to creep in again, but this time it wasn't because they couldn't find something to say. Bryce found himself staring into Mal's chestnut brown eyes. He gulped, trying to avoid her gaze. Mal gave him soft smile, then they leaned in. At the same time.

Mal felt butterflies erupt in her stomach as they got closer, closing their eyes as they prepared themselves for the kiss.

But nothing happened.

The pair opened their eyes, questioning looks all over their faces as they looked around them.

Then heard a sound coming from one of the bushes behind them. Mal turned around to glare at the bush, not understanding why it was making a sound right at that moment. Bryce gave her a worried look, turning around as well.

Then met somebody else's starry eyes.

Jake's.

"J-Jake? Um, sorry, we didn't see you there."

"It's fine. Don't worry, I didn't mean to scare you." Jake spoke brightly, making Bryce furrow his eyebrows in confusion.

What was he so smiley about?

"Um, okay. We know you didn't."

"Anyway, how are you doing, Jake? We didn't see you at the gathering, so we thought you left somewhere."

"I was at a friend's house! We were playing video games. You know, the usual." the boy replied simply, his expression still delightful. "So, anyway. What are you both doing here?"

The question surprised the couple.

"We were at the gathering inside, then we wanted to relax a little so..."

Just then, Jake's expression changed completely.

His bright smile changed into an angry frown, his eyebrows furrowed, his jaw clenched, then his eyes narrowed, and his hands clenched into fists. Mal stared at him in confusion, not knowing what upset him.

"Jake, are you okay?"

Jake didn't answer. Instead, he turned around and walked away.

Mal watched him leave, still utterly baffled, then turned to Bryce, who was just as confused as she was.

"What's just happened?" he asked. Mal shook her head, then stood up, stretching her hand in his direction to help him up.

"We need to go."

He nodded, despite the feeling that he wanted to stay with her at the garden a little longer. He grabbed her hand gently and stood up, then followed her towards the entrance again.

They were met by the sound of people talking and laughing. Mal spotted her mother talking with Nicole Gheisar, Bryce's mother, and laughing occasionally. She smiled for a brief second, before turning her attention to the guests, scanning each one of them.

"Where is Jake? He literally just went in here." Bryce asked, stepping towards Beatrice, Ben, Malia and Arjun.

"What, Jake was here? Where is he?" Malia asked, turning around to look at the audience as well. However, Jake wasn't there.

"Guys, forget Jake right now! The slow dance is about to begin."

Just then, the group heard a soft melody coming from big, black speakers at the corner of the room. Beatrice smiled, turning to Mal as she realized that she finally had the courage to ask her.

"Hey, would you like to dance?"

Mal smiled sweetly, then nodded with excitement, taking Beatrice's hand and leading her to the dance floor. Bryce's expression turned blank.

That gathering was turning rather dramatic.

____________________________________