Chapter 18

MAL AND BEATRICE SAT TOGETHER, cuddled up with a bag of chips lying in front of them. Mal sighed as she picked up a chip, biting it with a small crunching sound.

"I'm really sorry about... Dash. I know you guys weren't expecting this when you came back from Prague." Beatrice apologized. Mal shook her head as she wiped a small tear with her clean hand.

"Yeah. Me neither. I guess I just wanted to, like, meet up with you guys, and then talk about everything we were missing out on and... I guess I just wanted Dash to be here."

Beatrice nodded, her expression blank. She reached up and wiped off a tear as well, then grabbed a chip from the bag.

"I'm sorry too, Beatrice. I know I was too busy with things and I think I kinda drifted away. I want you to know that you're still my friend."

The other girl bit her lips at the word in disappointment.

"Yeah... You're my friend too."

After about thirty minutes, Beatrice took her things and left, despite Mal telling her that she could stay a little longer. Mal sighed as she lied back down on the bed, slightly confused.

"Why was this happening?" she wondered.

All she really wanted was for life to go back to normal. Then again, none of them had a completely normal life. Her mother owned one of the best restaurants in town, and they were mostly going to parties and expensive gatherings. Most people would dream of a life like that, but Mal could kill for a quiet moment. After all, it's not always about how rich are you, or what kind of car do you drive. It was about whether you appreciate what you have or not.

"Sweetie?! Can you come downstairs for a moment?" she heard her mother call out. She sighed, then got up from her bed. Heading downstairs, she thought she heard the sound of police sirens on the news.

"Mal, sweetie? Why didn't you tell me you were upset because Dash and his family were dead?" Nawal asked sympathetically, the remote control in her hand as she raised the volume a little more.

"Because you told me to leave it to the police." Mal stated blankly. Nawal gave her a look and walked over to hug her.

"Sweetie. You know for well that this wasn't what I meant! I want you to talk about how you feel, and it doesn't matter if there are police involved or not. I'm always here if you want to talk..."

"I know."

"... No evidence has been found whatsoever, no security cameras, no murder weapon. Nothing. And it's notable to mention to say that the second-born son, Jake Melrose, had disappeared and our respectful officers are searching for him for questioning purposes..."

"Wait, so where is Jake now? Shouldn't he be like, with his guardians or something?" Luna asked, eyes glued to the screen, specifically at Dash's headshot.

"Yeah, but he's not there. They would've sent him to the police as soon as they heard that the family's dead."

Mal sat down on the couch, next to Adam, who had a bowl of popcorn in his fist.

"I didn't say anything." he muttered, shoving a fistful of popcorn in his mouth. "Although the blood would scar me for life."

"Thanks, Adam, and... I'm sorry for dragging you into this. You're a good brother."

"Yeah. I know."

She leaned her head against his shoulder, realizing that she was slowly feeling better. However, every time she thought about the Melrose's, her mind would drift off to one thing. The question that bothered since she actually came home.

Where on earth is Jake ?

______________________________