Chapter 2 | A Not-So-Lone Soldier

"I believe I made it clear that I was going alone." Gonathen glared at the general.

The general cleared his throat, a muzzled centaur at his side. "His majesty insists that we supply you with a steed. And supplies for your journey. It's the least he can do."

"A steed, huh?" Gonathen sighed, looking at the centaur he's meant to journey with. "Why the muzzle? Isn't that a bit inhumane?"

"You're free to remove it, if you wish." Lucilfer smiled. "He's a bit of a loudmouth, I'll warn you."

The centaur huffed, glaring at the general. Gonathen took the reigns. "Very well."

Lucilfer left, and Gonathen went ahead and removed the muzzle. The centaur took a deep breath. "OH MY GOD THANK YOU!!!"

Gonathen's face remained neutral, dropping the reigns and walking away from the castle. The centaur followed him through the capital city, despite not being bound by reigns any longer.

"So," The centaur started up. "You're the sorry sucker the king assigned to save the princess. Got a name, stranger?"

"Gonathen Freecss."

"Woo- geez that's a mouthful. Imma just call you Gon." The centaur laughed. "I'm Leorio!"

"Duly noted." Gon stopped walking, and he turned to face Leorio. He checked the bags of supplies mounted on the centaur's saddle. Seemed he's got everything he could need, but... "We'll need to stop by my cottage before making our way."

"Hm?" Leorio raised an eyebrow. "Something you need?"

"We're going to be facing a Dragonite." Gon stated. "I'll need my personal armor, and weaponry."

"Ooh, you got a personal armory or somethin?" Leorio asked as he trotted alongside Gon. "What, you some kinda noble? Haven't seen you round before."

"No," Gon actually laughed. "I'm just a retired soldier."

Leorio gasped. "Retired? You're so young, though! You can't be even thirty."

"I was never one to keep track of my age." Gon shrugged. "I retired young due to the injuries I sustained and the hatred I gained for the kingdom."

"Well damn." The centaur grinned. "We might just get along better than I thought. Why're you on this mission, anyways?"

"The Dragonite." Gon admitted. "It's been years since I've seen one in battle... I must admit, I became excited when they told me there'd be one guarding the princess."

"Ah. Real thrill seeker, ain't ya?" Leorio huffed. "You do know this is a suicide mission, right? The king is counting on you dying in battle."

"Oh I know." Gon scoffed. "Nothing could be more satisfying than the look on his face when he realizes I survived..."

"If you survive." Leorio clarified.

Gon scoffed, removing his helmet to look the centaur in the eyes. "You'd be surprised if you were to know the things I've survived."

Leorio stared. He couldn't help it. How could you not stare? Gon's face was more scar tissue than not. One of his eyes had gone a milky pale color, blind. With three large scars running through it. Leorio wondered how Gon still had a full head of hair, considering how mangled he'd obviously been.

"Holy shit." Leorio raised an eyebrow. "You look badass as fuck. Ain't nobody gonna mess with someone that looks like they survived the wrath of a god."

That was the first time Gon heard someone say something rather positive about his appearance. At first, he'd thought he'd be as annoyed by the centaur as he is with everyone else. But Leorio was right. They might just get along better than they'd expected.

Gon managed to smile a little bit.

Gon stashed his helmet in one of the sacks on Leorio's side. He hoisted himself onto the saddle and pointed in the way to go. "My cottage is that way."

Leorio grinned. "Aye aye, milord."

And so they made their way to Gonathen's cottage, out in the treacherous outskirts of the kingdom. Leorio wondered how someone could live out there, let alone on their own. It only made Gon seem even more impressive to him.

"Oh my god!" Leorio screeched as a horde of goblins chased after them. Gon's property was in sight, now.

Gon put a hand against the saddle, and swung himself off of it. "Get behind the fence!" He instructed Leorio.

Leorio didn't question it for a second as he did as he was told. Gon appreciated that. He took out the single knife he carried with him, and glared at the goblins.

The goblins halted, bearing their wicked grins and sharp teeth. Gon counted their heads, making note of how much work it would be to clean up all those dead bodies. The blood would attract larger creatures. He'd rather not kill them, for practical reasons. He never enjoyed senseless killing or the cleanup that would follow.

"I don't want to hurt you." Gon told them as they shifted, examining him for weak points. After years of battle, Gon became aware of his own weaknesses. And has trained ruthlessly to eliminate them. His weak points would be considered strengths if compared to anybody else.

Gon held the knife tightly. He wondered if they'd retreat. And if not, how many he'd have to kill until they do.

The goblins, though, seemed to have some small measure of common sense. With their sour expressions, they turned away and left. Gon was relieved. He truly hated clean up.

It would take six days to reach the old castle that housed the princess. In their travels, Gon and Leorio became close friends. Three days later, they rest in a clearing in the forest. Gon had made a fire, and Leorio had a large blanket around him.

Gon roasts a creature he'd hunted over the fire. From his cottage, they'd also grabbed spices and some bread. Leorio was a picky eater.

"So tell me, any special lady in your life, Sir Gonathen?" Leorio teased, as he all too often did.

"No," Gon shook his head. "I'm afraid I may be incapable of love. It's trivial, anyways. When I was younger, when women would actually look at me, that's what I thought. I was a soldier, I could have died at any moment. Love was trivial, pointless. A pastime that ended in heartbreak for the lovers of my fallen comrades."

"Come on, never did you ever love a woman?" Leorio scoffed. "I find that hard to believe."

"There was a woman." Gon sighed. "Though, it's not the love you're thinking of. My aunt, she was the only person I ever allowed myself to love. And I paid for it, by losing her to the plague of ten years ago."

"Sorry..." Leorio looked down at their bonfire. The night sky was bright with the lights of the stars, and the breeze was just right. It would be a perfect night for a romantic dinner. Unfortunately, both Gon and Leorio are lacking in their love lives.

"Don't be." Gon dismissed him. "I was young, foolish. I know better now."

"Uh, no. Love isn't a bad thing, Gon." Leorio explained. "Sure it can hurt you- crush you, even. But it can also upbuild and strengthen even the most crushed of spirits."

Gon scoffed, laying back against a log. "It doesn't matter." He sighed, closing his eyes. "You should get some rest. We leave at first light."

Leorio nodded, doing so. He fell asleep quickly, Gon noticed. A centaur's snores are loud. Gon figured he should stay up in case anything hears it and gets too curious.

Gon looked up at the bright stars littering the night sky. He wondered about what Leorio said. Strengthening, he described love as.

What utter bullshit.