The beginning

Matthew and I have been married for five years and have been together for 12. Our relationship began after I ended a tumultuous 3-year affair with an emotionally abusive man.

Meeting Matthew felt liberating; he embraced me for who I was and had no desire to alter me. I was beginning to discover my true self as a young woman.

My ex, Jake, had confined me for so long that I had lost sight of my identity. However, Matthew was laid-back and welcomed the spontaneous, outgoing, and confident woman I had blossomed into.

It felt refreshing and effortless with him. He wasn't my usual type, as I had always been drawn to bad boys, but there was something about him that captivated me. Perhaps it was the ease of being myself, going out whenever I pleased, dancing and drinking with my friends until the early hours without scrutiny or interference. I relished in the feminine experiences I had missed for years while still having the comfort of a partner when needed.

We would meet once or twice a week, content with our arrangement. I indulged in vacations to Ibiza with my friends, spontaneous getaways to various destinations, partying until the city ran dry, and flirting with interested men, all while wearing high heels and short dresses.

When I was with Matthew, we enjoyed watching movies at the cinema, dining out, and often, I would head to his place at 3 in the morning after my escapades with the girls for passionate and intense intimacy. Despite Matthew's reserved nature, he was skilled in the bedroom, and our sex life was both thrilling and adventurous over the years.

Our twenties were filled with promise, and we were content with our independent lives. There was no excessive attachment, and we were each living our own experiences. I never envisioned a long-term commitment until a surprising revelation in our second year together altered the course of our lives. I discovered that I was pregnant with his child.

My life was now embarking on a new journey.