The lies we tell

I arrived home around 7 pm to find the boys watching the Lego movie in the front room. "Hey boys, Mommy's home! Where's Daddy?" They rushed into my arms, and after a warm reunion, they mentioned that Matthew was in his study.

In the kitchen, I quickly prepared a meal of chicken and pesto pasta with salad on the side. As I announced dinner on Alexa, Matthew appeared in casual attire, mentioning his plans for football with the boys later that evening.

While serving dinner, I mustered the courage to bring up the topic of Friday night. "Work has invited me out for dinner on Friday. Is that okay?" I cautiously placed my hand on his back, awaiting his response. Matthew, distracted by his plans, approved the dinner outing and suggested arranging for a babysitter. As he left for his football game, my mind raced with conflicting emotions about the upcoming dinner with Henry.

With the kids bathed and in bed, I settled in for a quiet evening. Watching the first Exton Draper film, I felt a newfound fascination with Henry's character. The on-screen romance stirred a passionate response within me, leading to a moment of self-indulgence.

As the intensity of the scene heightened, so did my arousal, culminating in a moment of release. Lost in the euphoria, I was interrupted by Matthew's return from football. Sensing his fatigue, I decided to surprise him in a silk and lace nightgown, hoping for a romantic moment.

However, my advances were met with a polite decline from Matthew, citing exhaustion. Disappointed by the rejection and craving intimacy, I couldn't help but feel a pang of hurt. Despite his kind words, the uncharacteristic refusal left me longing for more. The rejection stung, reminding me of the longing for a deeper connection that had been missing in our relationship.