chapter three

Parties had never truly been my thing, mostly due to the obvious fact that I was strictly forbidden to attend one

Parties had never truly been my thing, mostly due to the obvious fact that I was strictly forbidden to attend one. As I lean back against the couch, chugging the rest of the crinkled, plastic water bottle, I realize why. My head felt as if it were spinning from the pounding vibration the music had, even from where I was in the bedroom, far away from Drew's beloved boombox. No matter how cool I tried to pretend to be, I had the feelings written all over my drunken face. Over the loud music, Pyper's voice is heard as she sings along to every song that is played from Drew's party mixtape. Harry had left minutes ago, saying he needed to get back so that no one came looking for him. Though I could tell my memories of this night would be fuzzy by morning, I couldn't help but overanalyze everything he said to me.

The common motif in my life right now seems to be the most basic. Living. As strange as it may seem, it is a struggle of mine. There is a fine line between living for myself and living for someone else, and although I have lived most of my life for others, I feel as though I am finally living for myself, in a really fast-paced way. I suppose that is partially my fault, I should have known that everything is fast-paced when it comes to Pyper Desmond.

I tip the water bottle back, swallowing the final drops before placing it down on the coffee table before me. As I scan the dimly lit room, I find my eyes landing on the large bookcase that actually held not one single book, only records, and cassette tapes. Whoever this room belonged to enjoyed listening to a lot of music. I had a similar bookcase at my house, filled with actual books. I read stories on paper in black ink, this person read stories in song lyrics. It never dawned on me that either way, it is all a story, until now.

"Oh, my God!" I hear Pyper yell excitedly. My head cocks to the bedroom door that sat cracked open. "I love this song!" She yells again.

I rolled my eyes, laughing to myself before standing to my feet a little too quickly, watching as the room spun. With my eyes pressed shut, I regain my balance as I walk out the bedroom door. As I neared the large staircase, I moved through a crowd of strangers conversating. The only voices that I had my attention on were those circling around in the kitchen.

"She lives!" Pyper exclaims, her arms spread open, eager for an embrace. Though it was obvious she had had a lot to drink, I knew she would be just as cheerful if she were sober. Her long blonde locks swung behind her as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I missed you, but you came just in time!"

My eyes dart to the tall boy in the corner as his tattooed hand wraps around his cup, tilting it back. He stood quietly as he had done all night, except for our short conversation in the bedroom. I bite down on my bottom lip as I look away, smiling at the drunken Pyper as she walks back towards the small crowd. "Drew was just about to play us some demos," Pyper says, pulling me towards her in hopes I would be more social. "You know what a demo is, right?" She questions me quietly so no one would hear or be shocked if my answer is no.

I nod quickly. "Yes, Pyper." I chuckle. A music demo is basically a singer's version of a rough draft, and I am very familiar with rough drafts. "Let's hear it." I tuck my hands into the pockets of my denim jacket, turning up to Drew as he switches out the cassette tapes.