chapter six

ASHTON

ASHTON

My eyes flicker open slowly as they adjust to my surroundings. There was no sunlight or hint of morning anywhere, only colorful Christmas lights and a poster of Nirvana staring back at me. There was no confusion as to where I was once Kurt Cobain stared down at me from the poster above.

I knew it had to be at least close to morning due to the silence coming from inside the large house, which is different. My head aches as I sit up, looking for any sign of water. Harry is tucked under the covers in a grey hoodie, his hair a mess and the slightest bit of drool running out of his parted lips. Falling asleep next to him was not one of my smartest choices, but it isn't a regret. After a long kiss that felt like it would never end, I must have passed out sometime after he gave me a pair of boxers and a shirt to wear to bed. With no sign of Pyper leaving Ace's side anytime soon, it seemed like the best decision. That was mostly an excuse to stay.

I shuffle through the miscellaneous things in the mini-fridge and pull out a cold water bottle that I desperately needed. After chugging nearly half of it, I sat back down on the bed carefully not wanting to wake Harry up. When I hear him shuffle around, I know my carefulness was not much help. A few groans leave his lips as he tosses over. How can a human look like that while asleep?

My gaze landed on the digital clock across the room and my assumptions were correct. It was well past seven in the morning.

"Morning." Harry's raspy voice sounds from behind me. It almost startles me.

I turn around to face him and he props himself up, his eyes barely opening. "Morning," I responded.

He takes the water bottle from my hands and takes a sip, needing it as much as I did. After the cold liquid hits him, he is suddenly more awake. Today is the day that he and the rest of the boys leave for Phoenix for who knows how long. I would be lying if I said I wish last night lasted longer, but it didn't and this morning was inevitable.

"You probably should start getting ready," I mumble quietly, my own voice still groggy.

He runs a hand through his thick hair and sighs. "Yeah, I guess so."

He moves the covers off of his body, exposing his grey sweatpants that coincidentally matched his sweatshirt perfectly. His feet hit the floor and a yawn escapes his mouth. I watch carefully as he pulls the sweatshirt over his head, all of his tattoos now showing. Seeing him through a much sober lens feels the same as it did with toxins in my system, which I wasn't fully expecting.

"Here." He tosses the gray sweatshirt at me with a chuckle. "Keep it."

"Why?"

He shrugs with a smirk on his lips. "So you don't miss me too much."

I roll my eyes, a small sense of relief knowing he is still his same cocky self. "That's so thoughtful of you," I reply sarcastically. "I should probably go find Pyper and let you guys get on the road."