Chapter 16 - A call to Zeke

SAGE'S POV

After last night, I felt so... so... so bad, embarrassed, and in panic! I hated it. I couldn't withstand being near James, my fear of being recognized got the best of me and I left.

I'm afraid that if he finds out I'm his niece and that I'm pregnant that he'll be disgusted by me. I'm afraid of being seen as dirt...

I don't want to be a burden to anyone. My 'irrational fears' as aunt Jully calls them, got the best of me last night and made me leave the hallway. I don't feel like talking about this with Consetta, I feel like she won't understand and that she may tell my aunts. Perhaps I'll talk with someone else, someone who understands what it's like to have this anxiety.

8 a.m., aunt Jully will arrive at any moment now, I'm going to ask her for her phone, maybe she'll let me use it and I'll be able to call Zeke.

Some moments later aunt Jully arrived and brought with her my breakfast consisting of one yogurt, an apple, and a half a sandwich with butter.

"Good morning Sage. Here is your breakfast." Aunt set's the train on the small table with wheels and moves the table towards me.

"Good morning aunt. Can I use your phone for a few minutes please?" She looks at me weirdly and hands me her phone.

"Why do you need my phone Sage, tired of the Tv already?" She playfully asks me.

"I want to call Zeke." Jully's eyes widen a bit, she takes the phone from my hands and starts searching for something in it.

"Here." Jully hands me back the phone and looks at me inquisitively.

"Why do you want to call Zeke and not your grandparents? Aren't they still in Boston worried about you?"

"My grandparents...?" I ask out loud, a little unsure of where she wants to go with this topic.

"Yes, your grandparents Sage." Jully replies a bit more confident. "They must be worried sick about you!" She dramatically exclaims this while making hand gestures.

"No, they aren't. Nonna (grandma) and abuela (grandma) know that I'm here, if they aren't back yet it's because they still have matters to attend back in Boston." Jully arches one of her brows at me still not convinced with my answer and I just shrug my shoulders, not giving a damn about the topic since I know I'm right.

"Ok, you stubborn girl. I'm going to check on my other patients and I'll be back in an hour."

"Sure." As soon as Jully is out of my room I touch the call button and call Zeke.

The phone rings for a few moments before he finally picks up the call.

"Si zia? (Yes aunt?)" His tired voice answers me.

"I ain't your zia(aunt), Zeke boy!" His breathing hitches the second he hears my voice and I almost laugh.

"Sage!" He whispers shouts on the phone. "Is that you?" The happy and energetic Zeke I meet a couple of months ago almost screams the stupid question through the phone.

"Damn right it's me!" Zeke heartily laughs at my statement and I can hear the worry leave him and relief taking its place.

"Oh, Sage, you don't know how happy I am just from hearing your voice! I was so worried when I heard your avó? I think that's how you say grandma in Portuguese, anyway, I was so, so, SO worried! Your avó Rosa got drunk alongside Nonna and abuela, she started asking around for you, and then the three of them also started speaking about you. Your father tough they were crazy and keep them away from the wine but I knew something happened when Rosa said you were supposed to be at the funeral!" Zeke's breath started getting labored and I knew he was about to have a panic attack.