12 | The Hanged Man

When they arrived, the rest of the estate was still asleep, except for a nervous-looking maid who greeted them at the entrance

"(Y/N)-sama," she breathed, practically dragging her out of the car. "Please come quickly."

Kagura went with them, walking beside (Y/N)'s side reassuringly.

"Do you want me to wait for you?" she asked kindly.

(Y/N) was glad to see that Kagura's cold demeanor during her stay at Shigure's house had faded away completely.

"I'm good," she replied. "I'll be having breakfast at home after this, so I'll be fine. Thanks for offering, Kagura-san."

"Alright. See you, (Y/N)," Kagura said as they neared Akito's residence. "Take care."

(Y/N) felt a chill as she realized those were almost the same words she had spoken to Rin before Akito threw her out of the window.

She waved goodbye to Kagura, and entered Akito's room.

It was dark, but she could clearly see that Hatori was with him. It surprised her, and at the same time it didn't. Hatori was also one of Akito's favorites. It made sense that he was there.

What didn't make sense was the position they were in.

"Don't you know how to knock?" Akito asked coldly, detangling his limbs from Hatori's, who had been caught in his trapping embrace.

Hatori's shoulders tensed, and he turned away so their eyes wouldn't meet. (Y/N) glanced at him briefly before she lowered her head into a bow.

"My apologies, Akito-san," she said, keeping her tone apologetic and respectful. "You wished to see me?"

"I did. You may leave now, Hatori," Akito dismissed, watching him exit the room before turning his gaze back to (Y/N).

She didn't look as broken as she did the last time she had been here. For some reason, it irked him.

"I heard you had quite an eventful time at Shigure's home..." he said at last, walking to window. He glanced back at her with a cruel smile. "So? Did you see it? Wasn't it so pathetic, so hideous, it made you want to run away? I was right, wasn't I?"

(Y/N) swallowed uncomfortably, trying to keep her rising anger in check, realizing instantly what Akito meant by 'it'.

"I haven't seen Kyo's final form. I had fainted due to exhaustion."