Tensions and Secret Matters

A measurable amount of time had passed since Hyrule Castle had seen any written correspondence from Zora's Domain. Typically, any news or information coming from the Domain traveled word-of-mouth through its Champion, Lady Mipha. However, since a typical meeting of the Champions had ended not long before and a council with the Zora alone had not been scheduled; a letter sealed with the Zora crest soon arrived at the quarters of Master Link, a young knight appointed as both Princess Zelda's personal guard and the Hylian Champion.

"Message for Master Link." The guard standing at the door, clad in armor fit more for travelling than stationary work, handed him the letter.

Link nodded once, closing the door once the messenger turned around.

"Who's the letter from?" Zelda asked from within, standing near Urbosa, who had been allowed to stay at the castle a little while longer at her request.

Link flipped the letter over. "Zora." His voice was deeper than one might assume, but not deep enough for someone to say he had a deep voice.

Urbosa laughed. "Laconic as ever, that boy."

Zelda sighed, half-buried in research. "The scourge of Calamity Ganon still looms... he still feels it necessary to bear his burdens silently. The preparations seem to reflect solely upon Hyrule Castle."

Link nodded again, silent once more as he opened the letter, allowing his princess to speak on his behalf.

"It's just amusing... I think he said more at the... Gerudo audience than he has since."

Both Hylians broke a smile, glancing at one another. The Gerudo audience Urbosa spoke of was not an audience at all... but a secret wedding. Link and Zelda's specifically.

Knowing how illegal a non-professional relationship between a knight and royal was, especially a woman with Hylia's blood, the two could never publicly display their affection. When the time came that they wished to marry, they knew no Hylian priest would marry them. This led to some worry, as most non-Hylian priests would refuse to wed them as well out of respect for Hyrule's laws.

However, Urbosa and several Gerudo captains felt as if the couple was being pointed out to them and the Gerudo agreed to wed Link and Zelda. Not only did they agree, they were willing to design the entire ceremony in a way where Zelda's father, King Rhoam, couldn't nullify their marriage. Doing so was very dangerous. The Gerudo risked war, Link risked his life (more so than usual anyways,) and Zelda risked her reputation as well as the perceived holiness of the entire line of Zeldas.

However, the wedding happened beautifully, making Link and Zelda the Prince and Princess of Hyrule. A golden light took control of the entire sky when the wedding began and shone until dawn the next morning; accompanied by a beautiful blue aurora.

All in attendance knew that Hylia was very pleased with the marriage. Even those who were unaware of it still knew that something very divine had taken place.

What amused those few who were allowed to attend: Link's family, the Champions, Impa, the two head Sheikah researchers and most of the Gerudo, was that Link had said more during his vows than most thought was possible for him. For a man who rarely spoke more than a few words at a time while in public, seeing him speak over a paragraph to his divine beloved was like an odd dream. He nearly did the same when Zelda told him she was pregnant, though the news also concerned everyone who knew... aside from Link's sister Sydnei, who at nine years old was too naïve to worry about such things. In fact, when the letter from Link announcing that Zelda was going to have a baby arrived, she was so overjoyed that her and Link's father thought she would burst. Their father was joyous as well, but he was muted with concern for his son and daughter-in-law; a common reaction considering Zelda's age and that her father was unaware of their marriage.