Preparations

Later that night, Asuna,

Asuna understands this game well enough, in terms of the connection between the player and the world. Everything is just a series of impulses from the NerveGear to the brain. It simulates the five senses to near perfection. Every “sense” in this world is a fake, a copy of a real-world expression of an object. For example, Black Bread tastes like shitty bread not because the bread is shitty, but if you know what excellent bread tastes like, you might have an idea how shitty bread tastes. But the addition of that cream enhanced the flavor, but what Asuna tasted was not the enhancing effect that cream has as an attribute, but what bread and cream should taste like as a combination being ignited by her taste receptors.

Therefore, there’s little wonder as to why Asuna feels heavenly in her bath with Koharu. The temperature of the water on her naked body--no, just the water in general--is not perfect as Kirito warned, but it is enough to make her experience euphoria. Good thing the bath is big enough for two, else Asuna might have to fight for the right to claim it.

Ever since she left the Town of Beginnings for the first time two weeks ago, when she almost died trying to leave SAO in ignorance, Asuna was certain that all ten thousand players would die in this game. Two weeks, one sword skill, and a strategy meeting with forty-three other players later, she still holds the belief no one will survive, but she’s now somewhat willing to make the best of it before she dies.

“Miss Asuna?”

Asuna raises her head from the cool edge of the tub to face her nearly sunken companion. Koharu’s head bobs on the water’s surface, her eyes glancing in Asuna’s direction but not necessarily at Asuna. “You’re...very beautiful.”

Asuna has been told she’s beautiful. Girls have made their side comments, guys have asked her out, so the idea isn’t foreign to Asuna. Asuna takes some pride in her naked appearance, so Koharu’s comment is somewhat boosting her ego. She looks down from Koharu’s short, black hair to her breasts. Maybe the water refracting her sight misjudges her opinion, but Asuna believes them to be just a tad bit smaller than hers. But where Koharu’s body is best is her curvature. Asuna did see it when Koharu took off her three layers of clothes (armor, clothes, underwear) and stood to wash her body earlier, and...damn. Asuna’s slim herself, but Koharu’s figure made her slightly jealous. To think she’s with that other boy all the time…

Return the compliment, Asuna. “You’re beautiful yourself, Koharu.”

“...Honestly, I’m happy to see another girl at the meeting. I’ve met others in the last month, but never thought I’d see one willing to join the raid.”

“I cannot say I thought differently. I’m not a gamer myself, but I’m sure the disparity between guys and girls was on full display earlier.”

Koharu smiles. “This is your first game too? Looks like we chose the wrong one.” Asuna tries not to laugh, but the irony of her situation being shared with another causes it to slip out. Who would’ve guessed that she, a third-year junior high school student, would be sitting in a virtual bath with a girl her age In their first game ever that is adamant about killing them? “I wish I didn’t study so hard for the mock entrance exams.”

“I wish I could have taken them.”

“About this time right now, my gymnastics team would be going to the winter competition. I was ready for that.” Koharu suddenly perks down and blushes. “Oh, sorry. Jaymes says we’re not supposed to talk about the real world here, but I got so excited and kept talking.”