Chapter 4: Dangerous Game

I am startled awake to the sound of mischievous giggling that I recognize as the daughters, and once again, it's growing closer. I try to think quickly, knowing that they probably expect me to be asleep so I sit up and put my hands in my lap as if I'm expecting them. The giggles grow ominously louder and suddenly the double doors to my chambers fly open and three swarms of flies create a massive shadow in my room.

The first daughter that materializes is angry, her black hair flying around her face like dark rays of light. She has blood splattered across her tar-colored mouth and cheeks, and her eyes are manic... almost sadistic.

"I knew it," she snarls, her eyes fixed on the marks on my neck. "She let Mother play with her." Another daughter with red hair forms close to me and gets near enough to take a deep inhale of the dried wound her mother had made only hours before.

"Mmmmm, I want to play with her too," she coos playfully as the third daughter with blonde hair finally emerges from her insect swarm.

"Enough, Daniela. There will be plenty of that later," the blonde says calmly, but wickedly at the same time. Daniela backs away from my neck and giggles maniacally as she retreats to her blonde sister, who I take as the eldest.

"Bela, she was supposed to be asleep," the black-haired daughter seethes at the eldest sister through gritted teeth.

"We improvise then, Cassandra," Bela snaps in her direction. "Get creative."

Before I know it, Cassandra is holding me by my throat and laughing maniacally. She begins to squeeze and it doesn't take long before I begin to lose consciousness. Before I slip away, I hear Bela command, "Take her to the dungeon, we need her screams to be as far from Mother's chambers as possible."

..........

I wake up on a cold, wet, stone cell floor with the daughters waiting for me, talking quietly amongst themselves. It's dark except for a few wall torches giving minimal light and it reeks of blood and mildew. I sit and lean up against a side wall and my head begins to pound violently while blood drips down my face from my hairline. Daniela takes a huge sniff of the air, grins widely with a happy moan, and turns toward me.

"She's awake, sisters! Dinner is served," she hisses. Cassandra removes her sickle and walks slowly towards me.

"I've been waiting for this since you first stepped on the castle grounds," Cassandra grins sadistically. Bela stays silent but has a mischievous glint in her eye. Something isn't right. As Cassandra inches closer, I scoot backward towards the back of the cell. I'm shrouded in more darkness the further I scoot back as the torchlight slides off my face. She opens the cell door and her sickle gleams in the torchlight menacingly. My throat goes dry and I know they are reveling in the fear they see in my eyes by Cassandra's increasingly sadistic smile. At this point, I'm fearing for my life when Cassandra moves quickly toward me, the tip of her sickle pressing into one of the marks her mother had made on my neck. She looks at my neck, tilts her head to the side, and grins wickedly as she meets my fearful gaze.

"Please," I whisper. "I haven't done anything wrong," I plead, my voice shallow and quiet. Daniela flies towards me and before I know it, she's cuffing my wrists with chains that are attached to the vaulted ceiling of the cell. Bela walks to a lever as if on cue and the chains are pulled into the ceiling, forcing me to stand, then eventually, my feet are no longer on the floor. Daniela then cuffs my ankles tightly and the pull on my arms makes my shoulders burn. My heart is racing and not in the way it was only hours ago. This time, I'm frightened. Cassandra now has full access to my body and she cackles.

"Mother needs to share her food with her children," Cassandra purrs in a very similar mannerism to her mother. She grins and stares at the place on my head where blood is slowly dripping from, then meets my gaze again.