Chapter 5: Just a Taste

I hear a gentle knock at the bathroom door and Francesca peeks her head in slightly. I have already dried off and slipped on a small, deep blue, silk robe that Alcina had left on a dresser in her bathroom. I am in the middle of putting my hair into a bun before I turn around to see Francesca's caramel, freckled skin, curly brown hair, and honey brown eyes meet my gaze. I have already (and very reluctantly) wiped Alcina's lipstick from my neck, cheek, and lips to hide the events that transpired only minutes ago. I offer a sheepish grin in Francesca's direction and she giggles and shakes her head at me as she walks in the room, not fooled and very aware of what just happened. Francesca and I met briefly on my first day, Elena had introduced me to her while I was on my tour of the castle. She is the maid that is the closest to me in age and I find that I gravitate towards her more for that reason.

"How was it, Y/N?" She asks, her cheeks turning a light pink. Her curiosity combined with my frazzled brain sent me into a state of over-excited fluster. I take a deep breath and exhale deeply, trying to regain my composure. Francesca's wide, honey eyes showed me that she was genuinely curious.

"Where do I begin?" I sigh, my arms dropping to my sides as I finish putting my hair up. "She was caring and compassionate. She was gentle, but also assertive and dominant. I thought today was the day, but she's not ready to part with... my blood," I say as I shake my head in disappointment. Francesca nods, listening intently. Her eyes land on the bite marks on my neck and she gives me the eyes and wiggles her eyebrows with another giggle, probably thinking that intense moment happened just now. I laugh with her and shake my head again.

"That happened last night. It was... amazing," I say, trying not to talk too much about it. As much as I want to rant about it, I want to keep our moments as private as possible.

"I couldn't use that word to describe being fed from," Francesca teases, to which I return a giggle. "On a more serious note, I saw the Lady carrying you from the dungeon this morning after the Daughters fled. Did they make that other mark on your neck?" she asks with concern. I nod and touch my newer mark lightly. The memories of being chained with Cassandra's sickle at my throat come back and my mouth goes dry. I shake it off as best as I can and try to bring my thoughts back to Alcina in the tub with me. Francesca notices my discomfort and grabs my hand, so I quickly grab my clothes and walk with her out of Alcina's chambers. She leads me down the dark stairs, the massive windows all cloaked with intricate, heavy curtains, and unlocks the doors to the room right beneath Lady Dimitrescu's. I walk in to see sultry red fabrics and gold accents in a space that is almost twice the size I had before. It has its own bathroom, massive windows with a view of the village below, and a gigantic bed... about the size of Alcina's.

"What is this room?" I ask as I look up at the tall ceilings, confused as to why there would be another large bed apart from the one the lady already has upstairs.

"This is her consort's room," Francesca says softly, a small grin that she's fighting crossing her face. I turn to her, shock splayed across my features.

"She will stay in this room on occasion when she has a consort and will often lend it to a Grand Chambermaid if they are well enough to her liking," she says with a wink. "She instructed me to prepare it for you so she can have you closer to her. She doesn't want her daughters near you and this is a place they know to stay away from."

I nod my understanding and notice that all of my belongings are already in here, arranged how I had them in my old room, including the wine and glass as well as her notes on the table in front of the fireplace and large lounging couch. I run my fingers across the back of the couch, the edges carved of beautiful gold, and I can't help but wonder (a little jealously) how many other maidens she had stationed in this room. I let that thought pass because I'm here now. It's my turn.