XXIX | TWENTY NINE

The sun had finally risen and bathed the three of them with all of its glorious light. For some reason, Jayden's mood seemed rather jovial in comparison to the mood of his other two companions.

Yvette had been drifting in and out of sleep, and her cheeks seemed redder than usual, although when he pointed it out, both she and Giselle dismissed it quickly. If he didn't know any better, he could tell that Yvette and Giselle had gotten into an argument. But, deciding not to push the matter, he instead focused his attention on his delightful surroundings and the richness of his coffee.

"This place is lovely," Jayden breathed.

A tight smile was offered as a response.

Jayden frowned, "Do you not think so?"

Giselle shrugged nonchalantly. "Very much like the other campsite, except that this one seems to have fewer bushes and more wide-open space."

"And the other one had the large tree," Jayden replied. Her mood seemed different, a bit off, and there seemed to be tension in her stiff shoulders.

"If you search well enough, there will always be a large tree amidst a sea of them," Giselle replied.

"True," Jayden acknowledged. Squirming a bit, he had to convince himself to keep silent, for he could see that Yvette was at times awake enough to listen to their conversation, and that made him uneasy.

Though he trusted her, it wasn't enough to openly express himself.

After finishing his fine meal in a rather tense environment, he finally found the voice to ask Giselle to for a walk. Yvette had been staring at them strangely, which continuously made the small curls at the back of his neck rise.

Giselle stiffened at his suggestion, but in the end, obliged.

He didn't miss the stony glare that was mutually passed in between the two.

-

"Having a rough time again?"

Giselle's jaw tightened, and she snorted. "You know how it can be sometimes," she shot him a quick smile – or tried to, anyway. "Good days, bad. The illness has made her unstable."

Jayden knew alright, his father had been the same. It usually brought loads of emotional instability; at least to his family, yet he knew Giselle would fare just fine. She was a strong person, regardless, he also wanted to show some sort of support. 

They had walked a few minutes away and had come across a unique view. They had reached a plain, leaving the trees behind them, and before them, a small creek made its way through the grass. Across the plains he could see more trees raising, attaching themselves to the mountain that was underneath them.

"Let's make it across," suggested Giselle.

"Sure."

They continued their walk uphill as the sun washed down on them. His hand slithered into his pocket, and his fingers grazed the small flower that dangled from the necklace,  eyes involuntarily fleeted to Giselle's slender neck.

"What are you staring at?" Giselle asked as she continued her walk. His cheeks flushed as he forced his eyes quickly away, and back to the trees that were around him, and that would sometimes graze his cheek. "Nothing," he quipped, hesitantly, "at you," he admitted shortly thereafter. 

How did she know? Well, that was beyond him, as most things she would do and say. 

His comment made her cock her head, but she didn't do much after that, she just continued her way through the damp grass.

Though the day was lovely and the weather not bothersome, there was a strange feeling in the air; one similar to tension, which made both parties uneasy in each other's presence. Jayden didn't know what caused it, but he did know he wanted to end it.

It then dawned to him that Giselle seemed to know where she was going; her steps were firm and confident, they were the steps of a person who had already been through this place. When they reached the boulders, Jayden was convinced of this. Giselle stood in front of them as if waiting for them to fall on her, it was so that it was only when Jayden touched her shoulder that she seemed to awaken from wherever place her mind had taken her.

She turned to him and her eyes gave off indifference, as they remained glued to his for what seemed an eternity. Without breaking eye contact, he pulled the necklace out of his pocket and placed it in her hand.

Her eyes flitted down, and her face crumbled a bit. Her fingers tightened around his. "Where did you find it?" Though her voice was harsh, her eyes were filled with sorrow.

"In the floater. It was under your seat."

Giselle's face contorted, and she turned back to face the boulders. "I thought it had been destroyed in the Patmos explosion."

"Who gave it to you?"

"My mom," She whispered. She caressed the rose tenderly, her shoulders going slightly slack. Turning to face him, she suddenly seemed ashamed of her vulnerability. "It's just a necklace," she stated nonchalantly. 

He offered her a smile. "It's just a necklace," he echoed. She smiled, her eyes shining. "Turn around," She commanded; he obliged. And her cold hands rounded his neck, and then he heard a soft clasp.

Glancing down, he saw the pendant dangling around him.

"Take care of it for me, won't you?" she murmurred softly. 

He returned her smile and nodded. "With my life," he promised.

"Good," She whispered. Her smile was too ephemeral, for in a blink it was gone and her eyes turned to stone, as they seemed to look at something – someone behind him.

Jayden turned in time to see a tall figure raise behind him, his haunting dark eyes meeting his own.

"Hello," his deeply accented voice tore at the air and made goosebumps rise on Jayden's skin. A cunning smile spread across his rough features, revealing a fine row of sharp bright teeth. "Didn't think we'd meet again so soon."

Jayden's head sprung back to face a calm Giselle, who now stood facing him, with empty eyes. A smile carved upon her lips, one that wasn't friendly, or lovely.

"Giselle," he breathed out. "Don't."

Her hands began to grow claws and her body began to shapeshift into the anomalous and frightening creature he had witnessed back in Patmos. Her eyes darkened, her facial features sharpened, and her hair was slicked back.

She was stunning, and not in a bonny way, but rather, in an eldritch manner.

His eyes widened and he pushed himself away from her, catching the flash of hurt that flooded her eyes before these turned to stone once more.

"I am sorry," she said, monotonously, and then shards of pain washed him away.

Apolgies! Had a bit of a struggle to upload. The page just wasn't working with me. Perseverance won the battle (hehe)  here it is, and as always, hope you enjoy. -gb