2. The Drive Back Home ( Re-written)

"Damien's POV"

Once we were done with all the formalities of the ceremony, we signed a contract to secure the outlines that were promised to us as a bonus for our marriage. 

One of the benefits of our alliance was the merging of two of the biggest MNCs in the world, which were, you guessed it, our family companies.

Next, it was the time for post-wedding traditions. It seemed like the wedding would never end, honestly. The first one was an old German wedding custom, which wasn’t surprising considering the half-German James family. 

We were expected to see a log, which represented the first obstacle that the couple must overcome in their marriage. I had researched a bit on such customs to make a good impression on the James family just in case. I wasn’t questioned on the subject, but the knowledge sure came in handy.  

Back to the topic, we were to work together to “overcome the first obstacle” by using a large, long saw with two handles, to display our teamwork and willingness to overcome such difficulties in our own marriage.

Emery gingerly walked over to the other side of the handle. A decorated long saw, with the expected two handles on each side, had been set up in the middle of the courtyard right outside the church.

Emery held onto the handle and looked up at me. It was as if my heart was acting of its own accord, sparking up without warning at any interaction with her. This was all too new, especially with her. Was she distracted by such thoughts as well? I quickly shook my head to get back to the situation at hand and tightly held on to the handle.

"Ready?" I asked to which she nodded wordlessly. I inched the handle towards myself. Similarly, Emery pushed and pulled as well. We worked together as some well-coordinated machines. 

Our families cheered on us as the hired photographer clicked our candids. 

After we were done, Emery's mother Amelia approached me with a bowl of honey-coated almonds.

“Thank you for agreeing to this, my son. I don't know what we would have done if you didn't agree to this whole arrangement," she said as she held my hand. Her eyes held specks of unshed tears. 

“I couldn't possibly sit back knowing the danger that is looming around Emery. I would have never forgiven myself knowing I could have saved her if something ever happened to her,” I said as I wiped her tears. 

“Now please stop crying before your daughter starts to thrash me. She is already glaring at me,” I said to lighten the mood to which both of us chuckled.

"Welcome to the family, son, though you were always a part of our family," she said as she fed me a spoon full of coated almonds. Honey exemplifies the immortality of a relationship. 

Never in a thousand years, I could imagine getting married to Emersyn. I have never looked at her the wrong way. She was like the forbidden fruit I could never have, I was never meant to have.

“It's time for the first dance,” My sister-in-law, Erin, said which pulled me out of my thoughts. Nodding at her, I walked over to where Emery was sitting. I forwarded my hand in front of her as I slightly bent forward.

“Shall we?” I asked.

“Yes,” A soft voice graced my ears as she placed her delicate hand on mine. Hand in hand we walked to the middle of the setting.

500 miles by Sleeping, at last, started playing in the background.
When I wake up, well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you
And when I go out, yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you