18. You see the Moon

"I am perfect in my imperfections, secure in my insecurities, happy with my choices, strong in times of weakness and beautiful in my own way. I am myself."

-----------------------------------------------------------
           ♡♡  Happy Reading  ♡♡
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Damien's POV "

I exited the bathroom to see Emery sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Why are you still up, it's late," I said to which she looked up.

"Umm--- I was waiting for you. Are you okay?" She asked, eyeing my face intently.

"Yeah, I am fine," I said, sighing and moved towards the bed.

"Okay" she stated pensively.

"Good night, Emery," I said and switched off the panel light.

She was still seated on the edge of the bed.
Sighing, I shut my eyes in the hope to catch some sleep, but who was I kidding.
My mind was an absolute mess. My thoughts were merely controllable.
.
.
.

___________________
"Emery's POV"

Sighing heavily, I switched off the bed lamp and settled on the bed.

The moon was looking like a wraith-silver dish, glimmering and shimmering in the starry sky.
The lasers of the moonlight made their way into the room through the floor-to-ceiling window of the suit. They lightened up the whole room.

"Damien," I let out softly to which his back visibly tensed.
I knew he was awake because of his occasional movements.

Receiving no response, I called him again.

"Damien, I know you are awake."

"Emery, sleep," I heard him say in a hoarse voice.

"What's troubling you, Damien," I asked him without beating around the bush.
He looked so defeated and hopeless, just a few hours ago, during our conversation in the pool arena.
For some reason, it hurt to see him like that.

"Damien, please tell me," I entreated.

He heaved a deep sigh and said, "I am a very complicated man, Emery. We both are like chalk and cheese. I don't want you to indulge yourself in my messed-up life. Heck, you should not even bother about anything of this sort. You are too young to bother about these things. Like I have said before, this marriage changes nothing. Its sole purpose is to ensure the safety of both families, especially your safety. So let's just stick to it."

It hurt a lot to hear those things from him. The man, whose presence, I had grown used to in the last few days. The man, whom I befriended a few days ago. I was starting to see Damien as my life partner, my husband, and not just my brother's best friend or family friend. Somewhere in my heart, I didn't want him to push me away like this. He had given me every reason to fall for him in the past few weeks. He was not an ice king or as the corporate world said. There was a broken and self-blaming man behind that cold and heartless exterior. 

Lilliana's death was a blow to the Atkinson family. I don't  know what happened that night, but after her death, Damien disappeared for an year. I didn't see him for an year after Lilliana's death. 

I could feel the sudden internal desire to insulate and cushion this man lying beside me, develop inside me.

Climbing out of the bed, I walked over to his bedside and crouched at his level.
He looked at me quizzically with a small frown on his face.

" Damien..." I said before inhaling deeply. This is going to be exacting.

"It's ok if you don't want me in your life, I will stay away," I said giving him a light smile.

The moonlight was shining straight on his face, allowing me to read his features decently.

"Anyway, you see the moon," I said after a while, but he didn't respond.

Okay, this is getting fiddly now.

" Of course, you can" I chuckled lightly to avoid the awkwardness enveloping us.

"Now where were we---- yeah, the moon.
You see, the moon is full of imperfections, but it's still magnificent and a pleasure to watch.
In the same way, we should push ourselves and make it a point to shine in the darkness of life and give way to the paths of life.
I know, it's easier said than done, but we should always try. Trying is the only thing we can do, nothing else.
You know, it's you, who has the tool kit within you to piece yourself back together even with it feels impossible.
Even when the darkness is louder than the silver lining.
The new self that emerges from the ashes will be worth every pain that stung for you to get there.

I believe in you, now please believe in yourself, let go of everything bad that has ever happened to you."
I stated in the hope of illuminating a little lamp of hope and self-worth in his heart mind and soul. Because at the moment, he lacked both hope and a sense of self-worth.

His solemn gaze roved over my face for a while, as if trying he was trying to find something.

"Night, Damien," I said in a low voice before sighing and standing up.

Just as I was about to walk towards my bedside, I felt his cold hand grab my wrist, halting me in my tracks.
I turned around to see his gaze already fixed on me as if seeking some sort of emotion. I emphatically pulled my wrist out of his hold and walked over to my bedside.

This was not what I hoped for us, Maybe I expected a little too much from this relationship. 

*
*

After around 30 minutes, I felt Damien move closer to me.
I was facing the ceiling.

"Emery," He somewhat whispered as if checking, if I was asleep or not.

I did not respond and stayed still. He tenderly moved a few strands of my hair out of my face and gently rubbed my cheek with the tip of his thumb before pressing a soft kiss on my temple.

"Sorry, little one," He whispered near my ear before shifting to his side of the bed.

I stilly took deep breaths to calm my heart, which kept beating louder than ever.

I was addled to his actions and words. The night seemed never-ending. I kept my gaze on the ceiling as my thoughts wandered off aimlessly.

______________________________________
"Being imperfect is perfectly human because imperfections are real, perfection is not."
______________________________________
To be continued...
____________________________________

Hello, lovely people!!

How are you all??

What do you think about the above chapter??

Is Damien right in pushing Emery away??

( P.S: Sorry for the late update, I am  really very occupied with my exams.)

Take care,
Moon