Chapter 9: Breach!

It all happened too fast. In a blink of an eye Yuu and Eiji were talking to each other, then an explosion was heard to their right as they were at the left side of the ballroom. Smoke emitted from the recently blown up hole, as the smoke started to fade and showed dozens of hooded men. Screams and the sounds of feet running could be heard all around the room as guests evacuate, and the people who had the strength to fight fought, giving everyone time to escape.

The prince was already gone from the boy's side as he gave a quick 'Get yourself to safety' and ran off to the direction of his father to help him. As Yuu heard this, he was just blacking out, standing in the middle of a battle, motionless. What could he do? Sure he knew how to use a sword, but he couldn't take stress and pressure greatly, it was a thing from his past that still seem to weigh him up to this day. 'What should I do?' or 'Should I help?' were the question in the boy's mind, knowing that he'll either be a burden or a helping hand. 'What had even happened?! Who even are they!' Was now the new question in his mind.

As the black-haired boy stood motionless, his father who was fighting off 5 men took notice of this and internally panicked for his son's safety, asking himself of what the boy was doing, slightly enraged. He embedded his sword on the ground and ice immediately trapped his opponents, immobilising them. He wasn't called the grand duke for nothing, he has fought a fair share of wars alongside the king. He sprinted past his wife who casted a barrier on both her and the queen. They shared a quick glance and nodded to each other. He finally reached the boy who was still standing still with no expression. He was concerned for his son at first, but based on the situation, he had no time as of now.

"Boy! Snap out of it!" His father quickly shook Yuu, which brought him back to reality.
"Get yourself to safety or help! You can't just motionlessly stand there!" The father scolded.
He raised his blade and slashed mere inches away from Yuu's face.
The latter panicked and shielded his eyes as he was expecting pain, but none came. He slowly opened his eyelids and gave his father a horrified look. The father just glared at his son as he drew his blade back.
"And that wasn't meant to scare you, you should be more alert." He scoffed and thrusts his blade behind him as it impaled the attacker.

"And for the record, don't ask yourself whether if you should help or not." He said as he stabbed deeper into the person's stomach without breaking eye contact with Yuu.
"In situations like these, you need to think fast, not stand still." He said. He withdrew his blade and sliced the person's head off to release a little of his anger.
"Now choose. Fight or Flee." He demanded, glaring at his son.
"But-" Yuu tried to reason but was stopped as he felt ice touching his back, he looked behind and saw a person fully engulfed with ice, presumably dead. He glanced back at his father with no mind to the frozen man behind him.
"No buts. A true noble shall show their strength, not show any kind of weakness!" He said as he began to go back to Queen Helena and his wife Selena.
"So pick... And don't be ashamed of what decision you make. I am your father, and I am not ashamed of who you are. Just know, that i'm just concerned of your public image." He said and gave a side glance to Yuu.
"Just don't regret." Were his last words as he sprinted back to the two women, slicing a few heads and hearts on the way.

He was right. He shouldn't be a coward. Finally convincing himself, he picked up a stray katana laying on the ground. He wanted to prove that he was strong, not only to his father but to everyone, to not look down upon him. And he wanted to use this opportunity to test his mana and magic.
"HELP!" He heard a person yell. He looked to his right and saw a little boy who attended the party being surrounded by two men.
"This one's mine." The first hooded man glared at his friend.
"I saw him first! I should get to end his life!" The other shouted. While they were busy arguing, he sprinted to the boy who was just glaring at the two with teary eyes. Yuu had to give him some credit, he was more braver than himself.
"MOVE LEFT! NOW" Yuu shouted to the little boy, the boy heard this with a little wide eyes but still moves. The two men turned around to defend, but it was too late. Yuu held his sheathed katana by his side as he ran, as if charging it up. He had no idea what he was doing, but a voice told him to do so.
"Who—" Before they could react, in a blink of an eye, ice impaled them upwards. Yuu stared at his katana which was pointed at the wall where the two stood. He quickly snapped out of his thinking and knelt to look at the boy.