Chapter 9 || That's Your Play

Natasha POV

My feet have never moved so fast in what is supposed to be a walk. I had to get away from there as fast as I possibly could before it got worse.

Why did I let her dance with me? Why did I even allow myself to do that? I don't dance, first of all, I also don't dance with people I just met. No matter how smooth-talking they can be, she is the one person here I am most suspicious about.

We know nothing about her, nothing about where she comes from, yet there I was talking to her about her intentions in all of this, her life, her motivations.

I gotta admit, the music thing...it's something I have never heard of before. I mean, listening to music while you fight? I've never seen that in my entire life. I've always been taught to have no distractions, to focus on the task at hand, have nothing in your way, nothing that can mess you up.

Then this woman comes in, putting earbuds in before she starts fighting, telling me that she has certain songs for certain fights, that it moves her, helps her focus. She tells me that fighting is like a dance performance...how ridiculous.

Or at least it seemed ridiculous until she showed me herself. When the music starts, it's like your body instantly just moves to it. Like the beats and chords, the progressions just take over your entire being. The build up, the bridge, the chorus, all of it.

A part of me wants to spar with her, seeing how the music works in a real fight with her. I want to see it up close. It's incredible, it's unheard of.

When the green clothed Asgardian comes into view I shut my mind off and drive myself to in front of his cell.

"There's not many people that can sneak up on me."

When he turns, I can feel his humor from here. He knew.

"But you figured I'd come."

"After. After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate."

"I wanna know what you've done to Agent Barton."

Clint. My best friend. Whatever Loki has done to him, I need to undo it. I owe him my life.

"I'd say I've expanded his mind." " And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?"

The god just smiles teasingly as I step closer, crossing my arms over my chest. Nothing about this is amusing. He has my best friend under his mind control, forcing Clint to kill for him, scare innocents, be his little puppet. Clint is more than that.

"Oh...Is this love, Agent Romanoff?"

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt."

Loki seems intrigued by this, asking me to tell him what I mean by that as he sits down in his cell. You got this, Natasha. Just keep your cool, stand your guard, and get what you need.

"Before I worked for SHIELD, I uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skillset. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call."

From another room, Kaden watches on cautiously as Natasha speaks with the god of mischief. Upon hearing Natasha saying "love is for children" she cannot help but agree. There is no place for love in a line of work like this, love leads to attachment and attachment leads to pain once they get taken from you. Natasha has a good point.

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?"

"Not let you out."

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?"