Chapter 8

Matt pulled his car up into Emelia's driveway and grabbed Alessia. They walked into the house--past a smirking Emmett. Emelia grumbled,

"Shut up, we'll talk later." Emmett shrugged, still smirking. 

"Ma, we're home!" Emelia yelled to the kitchen as they walked upstairs. Matt followed closely on her heels. They got up to the room Emelia and Alessia shared and Emelia sat Alessia on her bed. She walked over to Alessia's dresser and pulled out a sleeper for her. She took it back over to Alessia and changed her to get her ready for bed. Once she was all ready fo bed she picked Alessia up and carried her over to Matt.

"Say goodnight to Matt, Ale."

"Goodnight, Matt." Alessia smiled at Matt. Matt smiled back,

"Goodnight, Ale." Emelia carried her over to her crib and laid her down gently, kissing her forehead. 

"Goodnight, sweetie. I'll see you in the morning."

"Love you, Mama."

"Love you too." Emelia turned on the CD player sitting on her dresser that played soft lullaby music and turned off the light, closing the door behind her and Matt as they left the room.

"So...where do you want to go and talk?" Emelia looked at Matt. 

"Well...you know wherever we go your mom and brother are going to eavesdrop."

"Yeah, I know. Let's see if Ma will watch Alessia for us to take a walk?"

"Sure." They walked downstairs to the kitchen, to find Emelia's mom sitting at the table, drinking tea and watching T.V.

"Hey, Ma."

"Hey, sweetie. Hi Matt." Matt smiled at Maria. 

"Would you mind keeping an ear out for Ale? Matt and I would like to go for a walk." Emelia looked at her mom.

"No problem at all. You two have fun."Maria gave her daughter a knowing smile. Emelia blushed and turned around to head out the door. She walked past Emmett who nudged her shoulder. Her eyes flashed in warning as she brushed past him. Matt trailed being Emelia, obviously amused by this whole ordeal. Once they reached the front porch, Matt closed the door behind him and came upside Emelia. They started off walking in silence, until Matt decided to take her hand in his. Emelia looked up at Matt in surprise and he dropped her hand quickly. 

"Sorry...I don't know....I...nothing. I'm sorry, Em." Matt mumbled and ran his hand through his hair. Emelia looked down at the ground as she walked, sorting out her thoughts. After a moment, she softly slipped her hand in his and smiled up at him. Matt smiled back down at her and intertwined their fingers. They walked around the block in a comfortable silence, both in their own thoughts. They reached Emelia's front porch again and Matt stopped her, turning her to face him. 

"Em..." Emelia looked up at Matt expectantly.

"I want you to answer a question for me." Emelia nodded, prodding him to go on.

"What...what happened between you and Damon?" Instantly, Emelia's face turned stony and she pulled away from him.

"What? Where is this coming from?"

"Nowhere, I was just wondering. You never told me what happened between you two, just that you had broken up and he had to leave."

"Had it ever occurred to you that was all you needed to know about the situation?" Matt was starting to get angry.

"Why can't you tell me? I thought I was your best friend!"

"You are my best friend. That's why I can't tell you."

"That makes absolutely no sense, Em. I think you should tell me what happened."

"Maybe I don't want to. Maybe I'm not ready to talk about it. Maybe it just hurts way too much."

"Em, please, talk to me. Tell me what happened, I need to know."

"No. No, you don't need to know. That concerns me and me alone."

"Well, everything tha concerns you now concerns me, we're kinda together now, Em." Emelia's eyes flashed with anger.

"Oh, so is that why you asked me to be your girlfriend? So you could try and find out my 'big secret'?"

"No! Why would you think that?"

"Forget it, Matt. Just drop it please." Emelia and Matt stood facing each other, both tensed up, staring each other down.

"Em..." Emelia warned him to watch his next move by the look on her face. Matt took a step closer to her and she took a step back. Hurt flashed across his face. 

"I think you're overreacting." Hearing those words made Emelia's blood boil. She turned on her heel and walked up the porch to the front door.

"I think you should go, Matt."

"But, Em..."

"Now." The firmness in her voice told Matt that she wasn't messing around. He turned around and walked to his car. He got in and saw that she had already slipped inside the house. He slammed his fist against the steering wheel and backed out of the driveway. Inside, Emelia had curled up against the front door, sobs racking her frame. She stood up and pushed past her Mom's and Emmett's questioning stares and raced up to her room. She opened the door quietly and slipped into her bed, burying her face in her pillow, the events of the day finally catching up with her. The next thing she knew, she was out.