Chapter 3

Damon's words rang in her ears repeatedly. 

"Oh, my dear, it is far from over." What exactly did Damon mean by that? Matthew shook Emelia from her trance-like state.

"Lia? You okay?" Matthew tapped her shoulder.

"I'm fine. Just...thinking."

"Well, don't let Damon get to you. He means nothing." Emelia nodded and followed behind Matthew, feeling numb. She couldn't let Damon get the best of her. He was in the past, what happened, happened. All that mattered was that she had Alessia now. Right? She was brought back to reality again when Matthew started speaking to her again.

"Lia, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine. Just trying to get past Damon. I'm good."

"Okay...Want to get Ale some food?"

"We probably should." Matthew nodded and headed in the direction of the food court, still pushing the stroller even though Alessia was in Emelia's arms. They arrived and claimed a table. Emelia headed off in the direction of McDonald's to buy her daughter some chicken nuggets. After the food was bought, she sat her down in a highchair so Alessia could eat. When she got back to the table, Matthew got up to get them food. She gazed off, her mind wandering, until she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to see Damon again.

"Can I help you?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

"Damon, what do you want?"

"I see your bodyguard has left."

"He went to get us food." Damon nodded, staring at Emelia. Emelia preoccupied herself by fussing over Alessia's food.

"So how old is she?" Damon asked with a rare tenderness in his voice.

"What?"

"I asked how old she is. As in my daughter."

"Oh. She'll be 2 on March 8th."

"Does she have a name?"

"Of course she does. It's Alessia Callista."

"Ah. Tapping back to your Greek roots, ehh? What does it mean? I know you guys are big into name meanings."

"It means most beautiful aid. Callista is most beautiful and Alessia is help, aid, or man's defender."

"Mmhmm. And what does your name mean again?"

"Emelia means friendly and Acacia means honorable." Damon snorted. 

"Yeah, that sure fits you, Em." Emelia glared at Damon and Matthew came up behind her.

"What do you need now?" Matthew angrily spat at Damon.

"Your girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend."

"Then you won't mind if I take her."

"I don't care if he minds, but I sure do!" Emelia got upset at Damon.

"Touchy, touchy. I just needed to speak with you about our daughter."

"So now she's suddenly OUR daughter? Where were you two years ago?"

"You told me to leave."

"Do you not remember why?" Emelia was close to her boiling point.

"I remember. You overreacted."

"I overreacted? Really? You think that was overreacting for...for...ugh the likes of you. Forget it."

Matthew was confused. Emelia had never told him what had really transpired between her and Damon. All he knew was that she had broken up with him in anger. Damon stood there smirking at them.

"Leave. Them. Alone. For good." Matthew ground out.

"This won't be the last that you see of me, believe me, my dear," Damon brushed his hand under Emelia's chin and spun on his heels, walking away.