CHAPTER 5

(Phone ringing.....)

Voice answers :Hello?Stracey’s Hospital,how may I help you?

Thats the first time I make myself believe I am in the hospital.The stinging smell of the antiseptics,the sterilized smell clings to my nose hairs.Patients moaning in their various pain,nurses rushing up and down the corridor,the doctors speaking in hushed tones,sound of people crying for their loved ones all hits me like a sledgehammer. The realization of me sitting in the hospital makes me feel nauseated.I want to through up, but I control.My eyes burning from all the crying .I shut my eyes to clear out the hospital image though not necessary in my case I still feel the need to shut out every noise every smell as I wait in the hallway of the hospital for Dr. Sham.

The scene plays back in my mind, even though I don’t want to think of it it continues to play in my mind.I was back home from the beach and was absorbed in my plans for the future when I tripped over something.I traced back to feel what it was when my heart jumped out and I had the chills,because I tripped over someone not something.

Paula...it had been Paula I tripped over.

I searched for her face,keeping my hand under her nose to feel if she was still breathing.She was but I was still shocked.I yelled her name so many times,yelling ,shouting,screaming and crying praying she would get up,but no response.I find my way to the wall phone in kitchen the only phone in brail. I picked it up, and dialed Avon parkers house number.Miss Avon had been a trained nurse when she was a young girl.I thought she could help me and she may also know what happened to Paula.

Voice:Hello Parkers residence, if you are listening to this message then maybe I’m busy or may...

I cut the phone and try again.

Voice:Hello Parkers residence,if you are hearing this mess...

I dial one more time to try my luck ,she is the closest to our house who can help me please Avon pick up my call...

[phone is picked up]

I hear myself scream at the phone without breathing “Hello, Miss Avon,Paula...I need help ..please Paula is on the floor...I don’t know....

“Hey hey hey slow down a little bit I can’t get you if you speak so fast who are you?”

A boy’s voice..I am a little confused Avon was a single woman,she had only one son and he had also moved to London two days after Mr.Parker died.Now a boy’s voice I didn’t understand what was going on who it was but I didn’t have time. I needed to save Paula.

“I am Lia,Lia Kingsley granddaughter of Paula Kingsley,we live next door to Miss Avon, is she there?”

“No actually, she went out a while back.You need any help?You seem desperate.”

"Yes, Paula I mean my grandmother is unconscious on the floor. I don’t know what happened I need help."

“Ok calm down I will call Avon and bring her up to your house immediately, just be calm ok”

In the next fifteen minutes a car pulls up in our drive,I hear Avon’s voice she rushes in,finds me crunched up in a corner comes up to me asks me to describe what happened but I am unable to tell her anything I wasn’t there when this took place, she tells me not to worry and goes to check on Paula. There must have been someone else in the room because she was telling the person to lift Paula up and take her to the car. I wonder if it was the same person who picked up the phone.Avon rushes back to me, and tells me that they were going to take Paula to the hospital because she couldn’t exactly tell what happened to Paula.She asked me to stay back but I refused I didn’t want to leave Paula for another second.

The next thing I know I am at the hospital corridor crying.

I feel so terrible having left Paula like that in the house I couldn’t be there for here when she most needed me but she has always been there for me.I shouldn’t have gone to the beach in the morning today. Paula wanted me to come back fast was it this?Did she know this was going to happen?why didn’t she tell me this before?What is happening to Paula ?If anything happens to her it will be my fault,I will kill my....

“Miss Kingsley,are you alright?”It was Dr.Sham.I got up immediately and flung myself at the doctor with questions.If Miss Avon wasn’t there to pull me back I think I would have killed the doctor without receiving answers to my questions.

“Slowly, Lia give the doctor his time, he will tell us what happened to Paula.”said Avon.

Dr.Sham very carefully chose his words,and had said, “It is a chronic neurodegenerative disease that usually starts slowly and gets worse over time.The most common early symptom is difficulty in remembering recent events (short term memory loss). As the disease advances, symptoms can include: problems with language, disorientation (including easily getting lost), mood swings, loss of motivation, not managing self care, and behavioural issues. As a person's condition declines, she or he often withdraws from family and society. Gradually, bodily functions are lost, ultimately leading to death. Although the speed of progression can vary, the average life expectancy following diagnosis is three to nine years.Paula has Alzheimer’s ..........

That was the end of it I couldn’t bare to listen to anymore medical terms I closed my eyes and the faded world from my eyes drifted away...... 

AUTHOURS NOTE:Hey guys if you are reading this part then you all are enjoying the story I believe.If you do please vote for the story.The most important thing is to comment I really need to know where I stand so please comment telling me your opinions,anything I need to correct or anthing I need to add or if you just want to say you like it go ahead and COMMENT....

HAPPY READING!!!!! :)