The difference between literary agents and acquisitions editors

Many writers who traditionally publish have agents represent their stories to editors. A literary agent is an industry professional who represents a writer and their stories to publishers, film studios, and other venues who produce entertainment based on stories. An agent receives a percentage (generally fifteen percent in the United States) of the writer's profits received from publishers. An agent nevercharges a writer to represent them. Many large publishers won't accept submissions directly from writers, so a writer needs an agent to submit on their behalf.

Some publishers, especially small or new houses, don't require writers to be agented. These publishers allow writers to submit directly to their acquisitions editors. An acquisitions editor is an editor whose job is to buy, or acquire, rights to literary works for their publisher.

Acquiring a literary agent

If you do not have an agent and wish to have one represent you, these are the standard steps:

1. Select agent(s) to query. Learn about agents by talking with other writers or researching online.

2. Submit a query, per the guidelines listed on the agent's website. A query is a brief letter that describes your story. Many queries also include a synopsis, which is a narrative outline of your story.

3. If the agent is interested in learning more, they will contact you to request additional material. Often, the agent may request a partial, which is the first few pages or chapters of your story, or a full, which is the complete manuscript.

4. If the agent wishes to represent you, they will make you an offer of representation, which covers how they will represent and support you and for what percentage fee.

You may bypass the second step if you meet an agent online or at a conference and they ask you to send your story to them.

Once you have an agent, they will represent you and your story to publishers and work on your behalf to ensure you get the best deal possible. Selling your work to a publisher is very similar to acquiring an editor.