Tip 1: The secret to the first (and last) scene

The first sentence and the first page of a novel get a lot of attention. They're what grab the readers' attention at the bookstore so that they buy your book. The first page can make the difference between an editor asking to see your full manuscript and passing on it. Yes, the first page is important, but that doesn't mean you have to get it perfect on the first draft.

My editor cut the first few pages on my first book because I'd started in the wrong place in the scene. I had spent dozens of hours on that first line. It was perfect. But my editor was right. The book was better for cutting it.

After over a dozen novels, I can say that the secret to the writing the first scene is to just write it. Start writing. Don't let perfection be a roadblock. It doesn't matter if the first scene is ugly—that's what first drafts are for. Once you write a couple chapters, or even the entire novel, you'll find that when you return to the first scene, it will become easier to polish it into a world-class introduction. By then, you'll have an intimate understanding of the inciting incident and how best to introduce your protagonist.

Whereas the first scene entices readers to buy your novel, the last scene entices readers to buy your next novel. The final scene can bog down writers trying to achieve perfection. Take the same approach with the ending as you do with the beginning. Just get it down and revise it after you've had a chance to read your novel end-to-end. Once you see the full story with fresh eyes, it'll be easier to refine your ending into a great, fulfilling wrap-up for your reader.