Chapter 43

It's a battle. There will inevitably be death.

So why wasn't I prepared to say goodbye?

It looked as if he's about to laugh. I almost expected him to, to sit up and say, "gotcha!" after a mean prank.

But it would be a prank. It wouldn't be real.

Percy was cradling Fred's face. Ron and Harry were both frozen, staring blankly at Fred's body in shock.

No. This is real.

Percy was sitting up now, roaring into the dust and oblivion. I scooted forward on my knees, my hands shaking as they found Fred's cheeks. I leaned forward, pressing a kiss to his forehead, my tears splashing onto his still face. "Thank you for everything," I whispered against his skin. "I love you, Fred. Goodbye for now. I'll see you again someday."

Loud voices sounded, and two Death Eaters charged in from different directions, heading right toward us. Harry scattered away, pulling a protesting Ron with him, but my path was blocked by one of the Death Eaters, so I couldn't follow them. That left only one escape route. I turned to Percy, and he shook his head at me. "Go," he mouthed, raising his wand.

I ran, rounding the corner as Percy let out a guttural scream, intent on protecting his little brother and exacting revenge.

I ran like hell, turning corner after corner. rammed into a tall, lean figure. I looked up into molten brown eyes and shaggy dark hair.

"Theo!"

His eyes widened, and he grasped my hand and slipped us inside a room. Theo wrapped his arms around me, leaning down and resting his chin on my head. He got so much taller. "Oh my god, hi," Theo said in quiet disbelief. "Hi."

I pulled back, smiling up at my best friend. "I can't believe it."

He grinned sideways. "Missed you, too, princess."

Theo released me and opened the door, peeking his head out to the left. "Pam, Blake," he yelled, "Code Disney!"

Light and quick footsteps, and Pansy and Blaise burst in. Pansy's hazel eyes lit up, her red lips parting in a big smile. "Granger!" She swept forward and hugged me, squeezing me tight. Blaise embraced me next, pressing a kiss into my hair.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked, scanning my friends from head to toe. Thankfully, I didn't see any injuries.

"Of course we are," Blaise waved a dismissive hand. "What about you, Miss 'off-to-save-the-world'?"

"I'm fine."

"No. you're not." Pansy cocked her head, staring at my face. "You were crying."

I had almost forgotten how well they know me. I shook my head, looking down. "I just saw Fred Weasley die."

And then Theo's arms were around me again, holding me close. Pansy came up behind me, stroking my hair soothingly. "I'm so sorry." He loosed a breath. "I know how much you loved him, how he was like your brother."

I missed his hugs. I don't know when we had become so close, but I relished in it. I nodded against him, another tear falling. "I can't believe all of this is happening."

"Who the hell killed Fred?" Pansy said slowly, her voice low.

Blaise sent her a sad look. "Pansy..."

"I don't know," I answered, stepping out of Theo's arms. "I didn't see. I think Percy saw, though, and he's taking revenge."

Pansy groaned, crossing her arms and tilting her face up, closing her eyes. "None of this is okay."