Chapter 5

Chase's POV

After having Lexi over, it was easy to imagine the rest of my life with her. Her carrying our kids, me carrying her around. It was hard to take things slow with her, though. But she's human, she doesn't know that she's my mate- let alone what a werewolf even is. No one I've ever known has had a human mate. This relationship is definitely different, but I know she's worth it. It would be hard though, with no one able to offer me guidance on how to break the news to her that I'm not human. I wouldn't want her to be scared of me, but it's naive to think that she would immediately accept me without any hesitation. We will work out though, by any means necessary.

Now it was Friday and I had to leave the house soon to pick up Lexy. She tried to review concepts with me in the car, but it was hard to focus on anything except for her. The way her hair fell over her eyes, how she'd clutch her hands whenever she stuttered. We got to school at around 7:50, so we weren't in an immediate rush to get to class.

Lexy's POV

As we pulled up to the school and hopped out of the car, I kissed Chase before telling him I had to go to the bathroom really quick. I was really nervous for the math quiz, and I always have to pee whenever I get nervous. While making my way over to the restroom, I heard an unfamiliar voice calling my name. I looked up and saw Xavier walking over to me.

"Hey Lexy. I know we haven't formally met yet but I'm Xavier and I wanted to introduce myself to you. Sorry about what happened the other day, I don't know what came over me. I hope you can accept my apology and we move past it because you seem cool. Where'd you move here from?"

"Hi, I would tell you my name but it seems like everyone here knows me before I know them. It was weird but nothing really happened so you're fine. I'm sorry too, for pushing you. You probably didn't even mean to get close to me I just have itchy reflexes I guess. I lived in Sacramento, California before moving here,"

"Surfing is probably one of my favorite sports so I've always loved California. I can't imagine you've been in Brownsville that long so I was wondering if maybe you'd be down to let me show you around a little. We don't have much here but it's a nice town still, I promise. There's this one spot near the lake with a sick waterfall that I'd love to show you, it's a really fun spot. Would you be down to go this weekend?"

His proposal conflicted me. He had a really bad reputation and even though I'm not looking for anything romantic with him, he's had a really bad history with girls. That couldn't play out well for me, right? But then again, I shouldn't judge him based on his past. I really don't know him at all, he could be a really nice guy who just made a few mistakes. What was I to do? Before I could really come to a decision, the bell rang.

"Hey girl, it's fine if you don't wanna go but I'd love to have you," he followed.

"Um yes that would probably be really fun. Here's my number, just text me when you wanna go. I'm sorry I have to get to class now, bye!"

I peeled away from him as fast as I could and started almost running to class. I didn't even get to pee! Mr. Martin handed me the quiz paper as I walked through the door and went to sit down, I noticed Chase giving me a confused face. I hope he doesn't think anything is up. But what if he thinks I was in the bathroom for 10 minutes? That's so weird and even worse. But I can't think about that- I have to do well on this quiz. It was really hard to shift my thinking, but I turned to my quiz and started filling it out. After all, I've spent this whole week studying for it. When I was done, I turned my quiz in and even though I didn't feel that confident in my answers, I also didn't feel like I failed it.

When class ended, Chase and I got up and left the classroom together.

"You were gone for so long Lexy, what happened? And you came back panting like you'd just ran. I hope you didn't go to a bathroom across the school,"