two

"That must be the most adorable and old-fashioned thing anyone has ever done for me..." I murmured, a slight smile creeping onto my face as James walked into the restaurant, a bouquet of white tulips in hand.

He returned my smile, albeit shyly, and took a seat. His gift was unexpected but I'll have to admit, quite charming.

"I just need a moment. I'll be done soon... Sorry," I said, hastily wiping down the countertop.

"Oh, no worries" he replied, his eyes following my gloved hand as I worked the rag back and forth on the marble.

I could feel his gaze, and it made me a bit tense. What could a dirty rag have on it to be so interesting? Or did I just look that pathetic?

After a few minutes, I finished and he handed me the bouquet. I looked around for a vase, filling it with water, and placing the tulips inside. I stood and admired their beauty for a brief moment. "They're lovely. Thank you,"

"You're welcome," he said nervously, "It's nice to see you, again, that is,"

I laughed as I walked over the the fridge. Grabbing two beers, I opened them, sliding one to him and keeping the other for myself. A moment of silence hung between us, it made my curiosity get the best of me. "So... have you dated much since half the fish in the sea came back?"

"Not really," he admitted, " I, um, tried the whole online dating thing. It's pretty crazy. A lot of weird pictures"

I chuckled, "Weird pictures?"

"Yeah, like tiger photos? Half the time, I don't even know what I'm looking at," he said, taking a sip of his beer.

"Seems like you've seen the worst already," I said.

"Oh no, it gets worse but the apps aren't really my thing,"

"Yeah, I don't think I'll be getting around to that anytime soon. Everyone sure is quite... unique in New York,"

"It's been like that since The Blip," he sighed, "Crazy,"

"Yeah—Wait, so just how, uh, old are you?" I asked, sipping on my beer, "I-I never did get that from you,"

"A hundred and six," he replied blankly.

I almost choked on my beer. I gave him a confused look and smiled. "Um, you're being for real?" I laughed. He joined in, but only for a second, "You're, uh, funny,"

A few beats of silence passed again. Strangely enough, we both spoke at the same time. "What's up with the gloves?" we said in unison, jumping back at our synchrony.

"Poor circulation," we both replied again. Our eyes widened in mutual confusion and shock.

I backtracked and looked at the countertop, nervous to say anything. While it seemed to be going well, the awkwardness made my skin crawl but I felt better knowing he was feeling the same way. We were both hesitant about whatever this was.

"Do you, uh, want something to eat?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"No, it's okay, I don't want to bother," he smiled. "You got any siblings?"