Chapter One: A Mysterious Stranger

The curtains were shut tight, Lukas sleeping peacefully by Mathias's side, his breathing short and steady in comparison to the loud snoring. At this point, it didn't bother Lukas that Mathias snored, he had blocked it out. As usual, Lukas was the first to wake up, his eyes flickering open and quickly adjusting to the darkness around him. The first thing Lukas felt was a small twinge of pain in his head, but nothing too drastic, enough to ignore. He had a headache on multiple occasions when he woke up recently, which made him start to wonder if something was wrong from doing magic. Lukas thought, maybe it was a sign that something bad would happen, like he would be found. Lukas knew how hard it would be to find them, it was a three hour drive from his hometown, and not to mention the extra three hours you take to get a ride from someone in town to take you up the snowy mountain.
Movement beside him caused Lukas to return to reality. He sighed softly, sitting up, slowly but surely, and looking down at Mathias. He wasn't awake yet, just moving around to a different spot. Lukas got out of bed, running a hand through his hair as he left the room. There were candles lighting the halls, they had been procrastinating on getting new light bulbs, so it was on their list for the next time the others went down to the market. But for the time being, they had enough to live off of, and Lukas was very good at making candles.
As he walked, and began descending the stairs, Lukas heard faint talking, and it didn't sound very happy. Lukas got to the bottom of the stairs, following the voices to the sitting room to find Emil angrily rambling while his hand was getting bandaged up by Berwald.

"What's wrong, what happened?" Lukas asked as he rushed over, sitting down by Emil, and getting a small huff in return.
"Ever since we took in that brat!" Emil bared his fangs with an emphasis on the 't'. "All we've had are problems! Why do we even keep it around at this point?!"
Lukas could see the anger welling up in Berwald from the way his ears were beginning to pin back, so Lukas smacked Emil's arm. "Emil! Peter is a child! And you are by human rules too! You're almost a hundred and fifty get yourself together! You should be mature enough to understand this!"
"It's not my fault the little monster can't keep his blinds closed! We never should have taken in a human!"
Berwald finally stood up, knocking his chair over and staring down at Emil. "Never insult my son again, do you understand me?" He growled out before leaving the room in a huff. Lukas took a deep breath to keep himself from getting too upset and then glared down at Emil.
"Now you've done it, you've gone and upset him." Lkas muttered as he made sure Emil's hand was okay, and then looked his little brother in the eyes. "Just be glad it wasn't your face, got it? And be grateful, we did all of this for you, so you didn't grow up in that hell of a coven." Lukas put his hands up. "If you'll excuse me I have to go and wake myself up with a cup of coffee."

To avoid getting any more angry, Lukas felt as though he should find some way to calm himself down first. Possibly read a book, maybe ask one of the others what the weather was like. If it was cold and gloomy, Lukas would be more than happy to go for a walk to clear his mind. But as if to remind him it was there, the small headache sent a big wave of pain through his head before it died down again. Lukas winced and frowned. What was that supposed to be for? Maybe he just wasn't getting as much sleep as he would have liked.
Lukas turned to look at the wall. In a normal house, there would be a window there. Lukas really wished there was a window there, but it was only dark bricks. If only he weren't like this. If he was like the others who could be out in the sun without having to layer up intensely or risk death by a slow and painful hand. The blonde tensed you just a little by hands around his waist, but soon registered he was fine and loosened his shoulders enough for them to be muzzled up on. The fur on Mathias's fluffy wolf ears tickled Lukas's chin, making him smile a little.
"Quit that, your fur is really tickly.." Lukas said quietly, but moved his head to the side to expose his neck a little further. "Ow! No nibbling, it's too early, Mathias.." Lukas said sternly as he elbowed the other very lightly.
"Sorry I can't help myself.. you have such soft, pretty skin.. god I could eat you up.." Mathias remarked as he ran his tongue across Lukas's neck.
"And I could say the same to you. But once again, it's too early for this Mathias."