Chapter Eight: Beneath the City

Emil woke up feeling drowsy, his vision still underwater. He had to blink a few times before he was able to adjust. His head hurt a bit, and his mouth was dry, but it didn't faze him as much as where he was. The walls were bleak and a dark gray, the same as the cold floor he was sitting on. When he tried to get up, he found his waist was bound, which shouldn't have been a problem if something heavy wasn't tied to his back. He struggled a bit, feeling the coarse ropes rub angrily at his skin before turning back to look. He was met with dark brown hair on a slumped over body, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He knew that person.

Emil threw his head back, hitting the other person's, causing them to groan and sit up a bit. He took a few glances around and then his panic set in. Emil sighed loudly to get Leon's attention, the smaller male turning to look at him the best that he could.

"What the hell is going on, Leon.." Emil asked with a small growl in his throat.

"I don't know.. My dad told me to come downstairs and then.. Nothing I guess." He said tiredly, huffing. "Emil, I didn't sell you out. He's a mindreader, it's his special ability, and Emil, I-"

"He loves you. He's thinking about how much he cares, because he's never met another person like you before! What an idiot!" Yao spat out as he walked out of the shadows, a look of disgust in his eyes. "I never did think my son would be so pathetic as to get sidetracked by his feelings. High bloods do NOT have feelings, we never have!"

"Then.." Leon frowned. "Didn't you love my mother?"

Yao started to laugh. "Hell no! I bred with her for YOU, and then, I killed her!" He said, a sick twisted smile on his face as he grabbed a jar off of the counter that looked way too old, something floating around inside. "And this, Leon.. is her heart..."

Leon knew that if he was human, he would throw up. His entire life had been a lie..?

Emil started to thrash around and was interrupted by Yao grabbing him by the hair and smiling at him. "Now if you'll excuse me, my dear boys, I'll be coming into possession of a much more important child soon enough. Bye bye!"

Emil continued to thrash around and yell at Yao as he disappeared upstairs, wishing he could punch a wall right now. He just didn't want anything bad to happen to his brother because of him. And Emil started to cry. At first it was a little sniffle, which turned into hard sobs as he sat there on the cold cement floor. This was all his fault, if he hadn't been so ignorant. He got them into this huge mess, and if he hadn't been such an idiot and gotten close with another vampire.. Emil really felt guilty for what had happened, and he was in a sense.

Leon wasn't sure what to say, listening to his friend cry behind him. He bit his lip, and started to move his hand up to the rope, taking a deep breath as he almost barely got his finger to touch the rope, and set it ablaze. Emil tensed at the heat, and Leon sat there for a moment until the ropes were loose enough to get out of. Emil stood up after Leon, wiping his eyes.

"We can fix this. There's only a few hours left. Arthur can see the future, it's where he gets his information. But he can only get it from people he's seen recently in person, or if he has an item of theirs. He broke into your old house and got what he needed. But the king himself doesn't know of this plan. I don't know where we are, but it's ok, I can find us a way out of here! What's your specialty?"

Emil shrugged. "I don't think I have one of those. Lukas didn't much like me learning magic, but I learned a little of it on my own."

Leon groaned loudly and rubbed his face. "You have GOT to be kidding me! OK! We can still do this! Let's go, come on!" He said, grabbing Emil's hand and leading him to the stairs. He fiddled with mthe handle, not being able to get it and losing a lot of hope. Emil put his hand around the knob, took a breath, and suddenly there was a click. Leon was honestly impressed.