Chapter 2 - A Plethora of Changes

"I'm here to help you. I'm very sorry about your dad. Please come out," the silhouetted person commiserated. The voice was masculine yet soft, weakened by age, resonating in the mid-range.

Aerin was frozen as he stared at the silhouette of the man. His heart was pounding hard and his shakiness was worsened by the man's unexpected knowledge of his hiding spot.

Who is he and how was he able to find me? Can he see me too?

"My name is Hawseff Korgen. I can also see things many people can't. This ability helped me see where you are. I am not going to hurt you; I am here to help you. What is your name?"

Too terrified to move or say anything, Aerin kept his gaze on Hawseff's silhouette. The thought that Hawseff could see him was perplexing.

How is that possible? Is he hearing my thoughts? What is going on? I want Mom and Dad.

Stifling the sobs by clasping his hands firm to his mouth, Aerin's eyes again gushed with tears. He held back the urge to vocalize his disdain by slowing down his breathing, inhaling deep.

"Yes, I can hear your thoughts. Where is your mom?"

I don't know where she is. She told me over a month ago she would come back.

"I'm sorry to hear your mom hasn't come back yet. I want to help you find her."

Aerin reached to open the trapdoor but stopped short, hesitating again.

What if this is a trick and you are trying to get me to come out so you can kill me like those people killed Dad?

"Those people who killed your dad did it out of fear. They are afraid of Gervalians like you and your parents. We have special gifts, which we should not expose to anyone beyond our own species, because other species who are not blessed with abilities are too scared to accept our abilities. I am like you, I am also a Gervalian."

Aerin parted his eyelids and pushed open the door, revealing Hawseff's axiomatic masculine figure donned with the cream hued skin and straight dark brown hair typical for Gervalians. He was wearing green pajamas with broad black vertical stripes. Hawseff's skin and hair resembled Aerin's, but his face was weathered and weary. The hair was moderately unkempt and graying.

"What's your name?"

"Aerin."

"Do you know your last name, Aerin?"

The woman who pointed Hawseff to Aerin's home glided into the room. She was, like Hawseff, venerable in appearance, although a lot shorter. Her golden irises, bluish cream toned skin, and long wavy dark blue hair, permeated with silvery strands throughout, snatched Aerin's attention. She wore a flowing black nightgown and spoke with a soft songlike tone. "The family's last name is Spherixian. They are a fairly private family, but I met his mom at the corner store down the street a few months back. She spoke a little about Aerin; he is five-years-old. Her name is Dorna. She said she worked at Firenzi Lomar."

"Ah, she is a scientist," Hawseff marveled. He redirected his gaze back to Aerin, who had climbed out of the safe-room. "Excellent starting point. We'll be sure to find your mom, Aerin."

Aerin nodded as he stared intently at the woman, noticing she didn't have blue specks in her eyes either. Her features were unique and foreign to Aerin.

"My name is Kilobi. Nice to meet you, Aerin, but I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances. I'm sorry about your dad. We will find you somewhere to live until we locate your mom. Okay?"

Aerin nodded again before surveying the mess created by the third silhouetted man. His toys were no longer in their bins, and the bed was on its side. The drawers and clothes, strewn across the floor, were randomly scattered about. Aerin was horrified, violated by the mere sight. Unlike anything he had ever experienced, it left him drowning in a state of defilement and vulnerability. Looking down the hall, Aerin found his father's body now covered by a blanket.