CHAPTER 27

ENHLE

Despite what happened last night, Mpilo has managed to bring back some of the family members to proceed with the family gathering as planned, there was no way that he was letting all of his hard work go to waste. He has spent a lot of money for this gathering to take place. The Khuzwayo's that lives back in the village didn't come, only the ones who stay close by are the ones that came. My family, Mazana's & Nonkolosi's are not here and, sadly, my family said they'll never step their foot here in this yard ever again, that hurts no lie. But I still have my sister wives with me & Mpilo. What more can I ask for? Besides, they are more present than my family has ever been for the past 10 years I've been married.

And then there's this thing nibbling at the back of my head, it's like I was told something important last night but I just can't remember what. I woke up with that nagging feeling seeing that I slept with a whirlwind of questions running in my head last night, but I can't tap into that one particular conversation. It sounded so important and for me to forget it just like that, it's just not me. I mean, I never forget conversations no matter how drunk I was, I'd still remember all conversations we had. But with this one? I can't locate it. Damn it, fuck my life.

“The carrots won't grate itself, you know,” Nonkolosi's voice rings in my ear jogging me out of my thoughts.

I shake my head. “Sorry.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I'm okay, just a little exhausted that's all.”

“You couldn't sleep?”

“Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to close my eyes no matter how sleepy I was.”

“I understand. I couldn't sleep myself.”

“Yeah, hopefully, we will survive the whole day without dozing off.”

“Hmmm, but I don't think it was wise for Mpilo to continue with the gathering without the other family members, especially his mother & uncles, it doesn't make any sense.”

“It makes perfect sense, Nonkolosi. This goes to show who his real family is, and it's those that came here again despite what happened yesterday. Now, these are the people we should consider real family, not the ones who didn't look back when they left.”

“Either way. This is just wrong and something about all this gathering is off, something is just not making sense, I just don't know what.”

“What do you mean by that, Nonkolosi?” I'm getting peeved now.

“I mean, after what happened yesterday these people here were so sure that they will never set foot here ever again, but look at them now laughing and chatting over alcohol. Something is just off, Enhle. I can feel it, and I'm afraid of the aftermath of it all.”

“Shut up, Nonko. You're just babbling rubbish. These people here are here because they know what the word ‘family’ actually means, unlike others. They know that even in tough times, the family must stick together.”

She shakes her head. “Something big is going on here, Enhle. And the way Mpilo reacts to Mpendulo's presence here, makes me shudder with fear, but I don' expect you to understand what I'm telling you. You're too gullible.”

“Are you insulting me?”

“If it feels like that on your end, then yes, I'm insulting you. Anyway, did you know that Mpendulo came here with his girlfriend yesterday when that whole drama with our husband started unfolding?”

“Girlfriend? What girlfriend are you talking about?” I ask, putting the carrot back in the large enamel dish.

“Yes, what girlfriend, Nonkolosi?” Khutso's raspy voice comes from behind us.