Chapter 9

Duncan took a step back, clearing his throat. "I wasn't expecting to run into you like that, sorry. I have your purse." He held it up to her and she gently look it from his hands, feeling shocked.

"Thank you." She said quietly, avoiding his gaze. "How did you find it?"

"I was going to take an Uber to the club and there was a purse in the back seat. The driver didn't even know."

"So you looked through my purse?" Courtney suddenly felt offended. "You didn't tell him?"

"I got it back to you, didn't I?" Duncan said. Then he shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose with his. "Jeez, I try to do the right thing and you yell at me."

Courtney unzipped it and started rummaging through it. "Did you steal anything?" She pulled out her wallet and opened it. Her money was still there. Her Polaroid picture of herself and Scott was still there.

"Of course I didn't steal anything." Duncan said. Then his eyebrows furrowed. "I try to do the right fucking thing and you ask me if I steal anything? Are you kidding me?"

Courtney was shocked by his language. Not knowing how to respond, she just put her wallet back in her purse and zipped it back up, still avoiding Duncan's gaze.

"If you're still so mad at me about killing Scott then get over it. I brought him back for you. I've granted your wishes. I even went out of my way to get your purse back to you. And you treat me like this?" Duncan ranted.

"I-"

"I've done nothing but be nice to you and try to give you advice but you treat me like shit," Duncan yelled, giving Courtney a sideways glance. "Just when I thought you were different, you turn out to be like everyone else I have ever met. A judge mental, stuck up..." He put his hands on his head and started pulling his hair.  But then he whipped back around and held a finger in Courtney's face.

"I have been trying to do the right thing for you. I'm sorry I killed Scott, alright? But he is back! What the hell do you want me to do to make it up to you?" He threw his hands in the air. "Actually, don't answer that. I'm done with this. Give me your last wish so I can leave. I'm done."

Courtney was standing with her jaw nearly hitting the ground. No one had ever spoken to her like that before and she didn't know what to say. The snow from the blizzard was collecting in her hair as she stood and desperately tried to think of a response.

"I'm sorry." was all she could say.

"Please, Courtney, just give me your last wish." Duncan pleaded. "Please."

"I don't know what I want it to be. I want to use it wisely." she admitted.

Duncan rolled his eyes. "You have until tonight. You're so welcome for bringing your purse back." He grunted. He gave her one last furious look before walking down the stairs and to the sidewalk. Courtney stood there and watched him go until he was out of sight.

"What just happened?" came a voice from behind Courtney. She nearly jumped a foot in the air from fright, turning around quickly. Gwen was standing there, looking concerned. "Who was that?" she demanded.

"Were you standing there the whole time?" Courtney gasped.

"I followed you out." Gwen said. "I have no idea what's going on, but can you tell me who that was?"

"That was my genie." Courtney said. "Remember, when you and Sierra were in my room when I opened it?" Courtney shivered, slowly coming back to the realization that they were outside in the snow. "Come on, let's go back inside. I'll explain after I call Scott."

Gwen nodded and they went back inside. When they were back at the table, Courtney pulled out her phone, dialing Scott's number. This time he answered almost immediately.

"Scott?" Courtney said. "Hello?"

"Courtney." Scott said cooly.

"Where are you?" Courtney demanded. "I know you didn't find my purse."

"No, I didn't. Lightning and I realized that we didn't even know what kind of car they were driving so we couldn't find it. I tried calling you before I realized you, uh, probably left your phone in your purse."

"They were driving an Audi A4." Courtney said. She shook her head. "Well, it doesn't matter now. I have it back."

"Yeah, I know." Scott replied. "Why was Duncan getting it for you?"

Oh shit. "He told me he was getting an Uber and found it so he brought it back to me."

"How did he know that you were going to the library?"

"I don't know." Courtney shrugged. "He said he looked in my purse so he probably saw my textbook."

"He looked through your purse?" Scott sounded flabbergasted. "That scrawny dude probably stole something."

Courtney remembered how Duncan had been so upset that Courtney had said that. "No, he didn't." she told Scott.

"How do you know? That's just how he is babe." Scott said simply.

"I looked through my purse, he didn't." Courtney lied. After Duncan's little outburst she felt like she had no choice but to believe that he hadn't stolen anything.

"Okay."

"Where are you?" Courtney asked, changing the subject.

"I'm walking to the library." Scott said. "I'm with Lightning."

Courtney felt that pang of jealousy come back. "Okay..."

Scott grunted. "What?"

"Nothing," Courtney said quickly. She stole a glance at her purse before grabbing it and swinging it over her shoulder. "Actually I'll meet you back at the room. I... I don't feel good."

Sierra and Gwen looked up. Courtney shooed them off to let them know she was okay. But she wasn't.

"You aren't feeling good?" Scott repeated. Then his tone got hard. "Duncan didn't do anything to you, did he?"

"N-no!" Courtney lied again. She held the phone to her ear with her shoulder as she stood up and walked out the door. "He didn't do anything."

"Right." Scott didn't seem convinced. "I know how Duncan is. I guess I'll meet you back at the dorm. We're kind of lost..."

"Use the GPS on your phone?"

"Lightning is stupid and doesn't know how to do it. I also don't remember which building you're in."

"I am not!" Courtney heard Lightning yell through the phone.

Courtney sighed as she slowly stepped down the stairs outside the library. "I'm in building 12D."

"Okay, I guess we'll see you there then. If Lightning can figure it out." There was a pause and then Scott laughing. "Stop!" he yelled.

Courtney felt worried. "Okay, see you there." she said. But she realized that the call had already ended. She scoffed, shoving her phone back into her purse as she walked.

While she wasn't paying attention she crashed into someone. Trying to keep her balance, but failing, Courtney's legs gave out and she nearly fell to the ground, if it weren't for strong arms that wrapped around her.

"Be careful where you walk, you almost fell."

Courtney opened her eyes to see Duncan holding her up. She felt frozen to the spot, staring into his cerulean eyes.

"I'm sorry." Duncan said in barely a whisper. "I'm sorry."

Then, he bent further down, his eyes closing. Courtney still felt frozen to the spot. Her eyes also closed as his lips slowly and gently collided with hers.

He gently kissed her for a few seconds before pulling away. Regret was now shining in his eyes and he finally let go of Courtney's body, allowing her to stand up straight again.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" came a shout from behind them.

Courtney, still in complete shock, whipped around to see Scott barreling towards them.