Chapter 2: The Reunion

Drew looked furiously at his duel disk. “How could I tie to a loser like you?” he yelled. Matt gave a disappointed look at his deck.

                “Don’t be such a baby!” Soldier demanded.

                “Well, I guess it was fun, for my first duel in two years…” Matt announced. The crowd surrounding Matt and Drew looked shocked. Abigail was also surprised.  

                Drew shook his head in disbelief. “There’s no way that was your first duel in two years! You were too skilled… I mean, you go lucky.”

                “I think I hate him,” Soldier claimed.

                “So do I,” Matt whispered back.

                Drew looked nervously at the crowd. They stared back. Matt didn’t know what to do. They were just staring at each other. Matt decided to leave before things got even more awkward. Abigail stopped him before he left. She handed him a card.

                “You’re probably going to need this for all the competition you’re going to get. Call it a ‘welcome’ gift!” Matt gave the card a confused look. “It goes in your extra deck!”

                Matt didn’t know what to make of it. He thanked Abigail and left the store. Soldier was walking next to him as he trudged on home. “Peculiar indeed,” he claimed.

                “What is it?” Matt asked him.

                “How am I supposed to know? I just implied that I didn’t know!” Soldier retorted angrily.

                “Well I’m sorry I’m twelve!” Matt yelled back, “Don’t blame me that I don’t understand your fancy English terms!”

                “Funny that you knew it was an English term. You’re now as smart as a monkey in my eyes.”

                “Is that a joke?” Matt asked.

                “I don’t make jokes…”

                Matt was about to speak, but he decided against it. He took a look at the card. It was level eight, had a red front border, it had thirty-two hundred attack points, twenty-one hundred attack points, and was call: “Red Night Dragon.” Matt had never seen a card like this before. He decided to leave it in his extra deck. Eventually, Matt made it home. The next day was Tuesday. He hated Tuesdays. To him, they were just days that signified that he wasn’t even half way done with the week.

                Matt finally made his way home. He opened the door and his eyes widened. There sitting at his dinner table was his brother. He had brown hair, green eyes, and white skin. He turned to Matt with a smiling face. Matt took a look around. His parents were nowhere to be seen.

                “Hey Buddy!” he said happily.

                Matt ran over and hugged his brother. It had been ages. “Why? Why are you here?” Matt asked.

                “I just showed up for something special happening this Spring. I told the folks they could take their vacation early. They sure have been saving those vacation days!” Matt stopped his hug and backed away with a smile on his face. “What time is it?” Christian asked.

                “It’s eight p.m.” Matt replied after looking at the clock on the back wall.

                Christian smiled. “I want to introduce you to some people. Follow me.”

                Matt nodded. They went out the front door, Christian locked the door, and Matt made sure he had his duel disk. Soldier was next to Matt as they walked to where Christian was leading.

                “I didn’t believe you when you said your name was Matt Rhodes. This confirms it!” Soldier claimed. “I have to say, you really don’t duel like your brother.”

                “What’s that supposed to mean?” Matt whispered to Soldier.

                “It means you’re horrible at dueling!”

                Matt sighed. He decided it would be best not to fight back. Christian finally stopped. He was in front of a thin building. It was tan with no windows. The walkway to it was stone surrounded by grass. Christian gestured Matt follow him to the wooden door. Christian knocked. It seemed like some sort of secret knock. A blonde girl with sparkling, green eyes, jeans, and yellow top opened the door.