Prologue

Gemkit knew she was different from all her friends. She was, of course, the leader's daughter. She was bound to be different. Her friends never acted like she was different. But the older cats always tip-toed around here, always respecting her like she was Whitestar. And then...

"Gemkit, do you want to go out on a walk with me?" Jaykit asks one day. "I asked everyone else but no one wants to go with me."

"Sure, I'll go!" Gemkit smiles widely at her friend.

"Great! Let's go get Vinetail! He said he'd take me if another kit wanted to go."

Gemkit bounds after Jaykit. The older warrior was sitting by the warriors den with his sister, Darkfur. He smiles at the two of them when they approach.

"I see you found a friend to come with," Vinetail flicks his tail in a friendly manner.

"Uh huh," Jaykit nods. "I'm ready to go now."

"Me too," Gemkit bounces a little.

"Alright. And you let your mothers know where you are?" Vinetail asks.

"Mossflight knows," Jaykit meows. "I'm sure she'll tell Whitestar where we are if she gets worried. Oh yeah, and Coralsong knows too."

"Alright then. Let's be on our way."

***

"Aha! I got you!" Snakekit pounces on Bluekit. "I win!"

"You always win!" Bluekit whines.

"That's cuz I'm bigger than you, so I'm heavier," Snakekit gets off of her and puffs out his chest.

"And you cheat too!" Bluekit narrows her eyes at him. "I don't wanna play with you anymore."

"Whatever, I didn't like playing with you anyways," Snakekit huffs.

Spotkit glances over at the two of them from where she was playing with Larkkit. She sighs.

"I can't believe he's our brother," she meows to her sister.

"Me either," Larkkit agrees.

Their mother, Coralsong pads up to the two of them. They look up at her as she sits down beside them.

"Do you two know where Amberkit is?" the older she-cat asks. "I can't find her."

"Aren't you playing hide-n-seek with her and Fluffykit?" Larkkit asks.

"Yes, but I haven't quite been able to find her yet," Coralsong replies, flicking her tail.

"She's hiding behind Violetstorm's nest," Larkkit meows softly. "Don't tell her we told you, though."

"Of course," Coralsong purrs, standing.

The amber she-cat goes to the corner, where Violetstorm had set up her nest. The grey and white she-cat was sitting up, cleaning her fur. Her ears pricked up when she heard Coralsong come closer. She smiles at her friend.

"She's been waiting," Violetstorm meows softly.

Coralsong peeks behind the grey and white she-cat and grabs Amberkit by the scruff. Amberkit squeals loudly.

"Found you, little warrior," Coralsong purrs.

Amberkit churns the air between her paws as Coralsong carries her over to the nest, where Fluffykit was sitting. She sets her kit down and goes to sit with Violetstorm again. The two she-cats sit in silence, just enjoying each other's company. Suddenly, Violetstorm turns to the older out of the pair.

"Do you think everything is ok?" Violetstorm asks.

"Huh?" the amber she-cat looks at her friend in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"With Vinetail. He took Gemkit and Jaykit out ages ago. They should be back by now, shouldn't they?"

"You're right. I'll ask Blueheart to send out a search party if you want," Coralsong stands before looking back at Violetstorm.

"That would be a good idea. I can't shake off this feeling that something's wrong."