The Biggest Surprise of all

Kathy led Gideon and Pacifica to a park that wasn't too crowded and sat down on a bench. The other two copied her movements and looked at her expectantly. They wanted her to explain everything right away. Kathy, however, took a much-needed pause to gather her thoughts. She couldn't afford to make any mistakes when it came to the explanation. She didn't want to have to explain it all over again because she missed something.

When she was ready she took a deep breath and began to talk.

"You know the story of Arthur and the round table, right?" Kathy asked.

Gideon and Pacifica nodded.

"Yeah who doesn't?" Gideon asked. "Arthur, as a boy, became king when he pulled a sword out of a stone. He created the round table and got a cool buddy Merlin, who was magical. Arthur went through a lot of stuff like battles, quests, and getting cheated on."

Kathy nodded. "But how does the story end?"

Gideon blinked, surprised. "I don't know."

Pacifica scrunched her eyebrows. "Does anyone know how Arthur's story ended?"

Kathy sighed. "A few people have come up with theories. But given how many different versions of King Arthur's story that no one really knows. It's not uncommon with old texts and stories. Just look at mythology. There are so many versions of how Medusa came to be Medusa. Some say she was born that way, some say Athena cursed her for being assaulted, and others say that Athena made her that way to be a symbol of protection."

Pacifica raised her eyebrows. "That's a lot of different versions of the same story."

"I know," Kathy said. "Anyway so no really knows the real story of King Arthur, if there is one. But I do know what happened to Merlin."

Gideon shook his head. "But I don't understand. Merlin lived a long time. He'd have to be dead by now, wouldn't he?"

Kathy smirked. "Not if he found some way to preserve himself."

Pacifica and Gideon both looked at her like she was speaking a different language. Kathy took no notice and continued.

"Legend has it that Merlin was able to seal himself into an oak tree and would only awaken in Camelot's greatest time of need. If the twins brought back one of the most powerful wizards of all time then they'd be welcomed back with open arms. This is why Mabel called it the solution to all their problems. With Merlin, they'd be the most powerful and respected wizards ever."

Kathy paused to let this information sink in. Based on her friends' faces they needed it. They couldn't quite wrap their head around what Kathy just told them.

There was a chance that Merlin was alive.

After a while, Pacifica spoke up.

"If that's true then why haven't people tried to find him before? I mean, with the number of wizards determined to get power or respect you'd think they'd have found him by now."

Kathy rolled her eyes. "First of all, Merlin being sealed in an oak tree is a legend. Which is why I said, legend has It. Most wizards think it's a fairytale. And those who do think have had no luck finding him. Some die on the quest or go mad."

"Makes sense," Pacifica said, nodding.

Gideon sighed and rubbed his face. "But what can we do with this? The twins looking for Merlin is pretty good information, but I don't know how we'll be able to get rid of the twins with that. If anything that just gives up another problem we have to fix."

"You're right," Kathy said. "This doesn't help us. It just introduces us to another problem."

Pacifica sighed and looked just as hopeless as her friends. Things were not going well with them.