Chapter 10: We're Even Now

Akari's POV

"So you're saying that Aniki attacked Kisa just simply because Hiro confessed his love for Kisa to him?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes." Satsuki, Hiro's mother, sighed and nodded her head while Yuzuru, Kisa's mother remained silent.

For the last few days, Kisa was living at our place, and apparently, she wasn't speaking to anyone anymore which disturbed me a lot. I later learned from Haru that she was being bullied in school and so I went to the Sohma estate to talk about this situation with Kisa's mother. When I reached the estate, I met Hiro's mother Satsuki on the way when I was heading towards Kisa's house. She took me to Kisa's house and right now, they were revealing the truth behind Kisa being bullied in school.

"When Hiro-kun knew that his confession had led Akito-san to attack Kisa-chan and could only blame himself on the incident. Since he didn't want Akito-san to hurt Kisa-chan again because of him, Hiro-kun began avoiding her ever since she entered middle school. When he found out she was being picked on by the other kids, he felt useless and was not able to do anything as it would be awkward for him to suddenly defend her after months of ignoring her." Satsuki explained further to me.

"I see... I'm really sorry for what Aniki did to Kisa." I bowed to Satsuki and Yuzuru.

"Please, don't bow to us! Please, raise your head, Akari-chan!" Satsuki exclaimed in shock, holding my shoulders.

But I didn't budge a bit and kept my head bowed down towards them as low as possible for all the overflowing shame and guilt I was feeling deep down inside my heart right now.

"I feel really ashamed for what my Aniki did to Kisa. I'm sorry for the trauma Kisa is going through right now and I regret not being there for her when she needed me. I also deeply apologize for my brother's extremely violent actions and misconduct. I promise to make sure it'll never happen again. You have my words, Yuzuru-san, Satsuki-san." I stated.

"Please raise your head, Akari-kun." Yuzuru stated calmly, holding my shoulders. "You didn't do anything wrong. You're not the reason my daughter ended up in the hospital bed. You're not responsible for my daughter's current state."

"But my Aniki is." I sighed, raising my head. "And he's my older twin brother. So somewhat I also feel responsible for my brother's actions. I truly am sorry."

"What will you do now, Akari-chan?" Satsuki asked me with desperation in her voice while Yuzuru looked at me with desperate eyes, searching for the hope within me.

"I'll go home and talk to Kisa." I smiled warmly and patted their shoulders. "Don't worry. Now that the matter is in my hands, I'll try my best to solve it."

"Thank you so much, Akari-chan!" Satsuki squealed.

"Thank you." Yuzuru responded softly with a small smile, bowing.

"Please, don't do this." I held Yuzuru's shoulders and helped her to stand straight. "Raise your head. Don't bow to me. I'm way too much younger than you. Plus, it's my duty and responsibility to take care of my younger cousins, so don't thank me for this."

Satsuki and Yuzuru didn't say anything but simply smiled at me warmly.

Later that day, I returned home in the late afternoon and when I reached there, I noticed Kisa sitting on the porch with Yuki and Haru, reading a letter. I walked over to them with a smile.

"Hey, guys." I waved at them.

"Yo." Haru greeted back.

"Nee-san, welcome home." Yuki smiled at me.