The Truth

The whole night I was up even though I was so tired. I was thinking about JJ and how I wanted to meet up and talk with him alone again. When we're alone, he tells me what's up. I can read his emotions. When we're with the others, he seems so distant and hidden. It's like he's hiding something from us.

"JJ?" I texted him. I wanted to talk to him, but I was also worried about him.

"Yea?" He responded.

"Do you want to talk? Like possibly at the beach?" I asked.

"Destiny, it's 4 in the morning." JJ said.

"I know but I'm bored." I told him.

"Well same. Wanna meet at your boat dock?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I answered.

I got up and put on a sweatshirt and fixed my hair a little bit. I snuck downstairs and outside. I had to be very quiet and come back before 9 or my parents would start to wonder if I was really in my room. I walked down to the dock and saw JJ already there.

"Hey." I said. I sat down and looked out to the water.

"Hey." JJ said, doing the same. I faced him a little more and looked him in the eye.

"Are you ok? I feel like you only talk about stuff when it's just us..." I said, zoning out before I could finish my sentence.

"I'm fine." JJ said. It wasn't assuring at all. Maybe that happy and crazy chaotic guy I met the other day wasn't actually that perfect and happy.

"JJ, you can tell me. I won't tell anyone, I promise you." I said.

"I don't know Destiny. It's really not anything big everyone has their stuff right? Life. It's all just life. Life, life, life." JJ said. He was literally so close to crying his eyes were already covered in tears. I pulled him in to hug him. I knew there was something he wouldn't tell me.

"JJ it's a big deal to me. What's wrong?" I asked.

"Fine. I don't have a mom and my dad abuses me, ok? And my ex girlfriend died because of me. And I'm really close to going to jail for a lot of things. So there you go. I don't have the best life." He said. I let it sink in for a while and then I just took his hand.

"I'm here for you, ok? I know I barely know you and everything, but we're still really good friends already. And that's all we have to be. I'm really sorry about everything going on, I feel really bad." I said.

"Forget it though. Like it never happened. That's who Claire is by the way. She died three months ago because she got bit by a damn shark and I couldn't save her." He said, crying.

"It's not your fault, JJ. You did everything you could I know you did." I said.

"Yeah whatever." He said. "Just actually forget it though. Don't tell anyone any of this, because they all don't know about my family issues and what really happened to Claire."

I was the only one that knew? That was oddly strange, considering he met me yesterday.

"I'm sorry, JJ. I shouldn't have done this." I said, getting up and brushing the dirt off of my pants. I walked all the way down the dock, trying not to cry. Once I got out of JJ's sight, I started running. It felt good, the cold morning air against my red hot face. Once I arrived at my house, I sat in my car and cried. I was a bitch.